Can you have one Dynamic Distribution Group as a member or within another Dynamic Distribution Group RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I need to create 1 Dynamic Distribution group that will attach to OU A and then i need to create another Dynamic Distribution group that attach's to OU B. However i also need it that if someone sends an email to the 1st Dynamic Distribution group that the members of the 2nd one get it too.

It is setup this way as they are separate businesses however the members of the 2nd group are shared services so will need to see the emails that are sent to the 1st one.

Any ideas???

I assume that if this is possible it will need to be done within Powershell however the only commands I can find are relevant to mailboxes and not Dynamic Dist groups. It is worth noting that both Dynamic groups will be in different OU's but obviously the same domain.

Craig

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 4:50 PM

Answers

• Create a regular distribution group that contains both dynamic distribution groups and instruct users to send to that one to reach both.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:21 AM

All replies

• Create a regular distribution group that contains both dynamic distribution groups and instruct users to send to that one to reach both.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:21 AM
  • Hi,

Except with Ed's suggestion, we can also use transport rule:
    when any of the recipients in the To field is people
    forward the message to addresses for moderation

For more information, you can refer to the followng articles:
    Transport Rule Predicates:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd638183(v=exchg.141).aspx
    Transport Rule Actions:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998315(v=exchg.141).aspx

Thanks,

Angela Shi
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 9, 2014 4:15 PM
  • I prefer Ed's suggestion to use a regular distribution group and have both DDG's as members. Besides neatly meeting your requirements it also makes it easy to satisfy those requests to have, say, a manager receive a copy of all the messages sent to the group even if that manager doesn't satisfy the selection criteria for either of the DDG's.

I suppose you could also create the OPATH (or LDAP) filter for "A" to explicitly include "B", but I really don't like to do that.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Saturday, January 11, 2014 7:01 PM