Host Process for Windows Services has stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• Every once in a while, I receive an error that says the "Remote Access Control Manager has stopped working". Right after this, I get another error that says that the Windows Host Process was shutdown. I also get a balloon message in the bottom right that says that DEP has shutdown the windows host process to protect my computer. This has been occurring intermittently for a few months now. I also notice that after I select "close this program" my taskbar and button styles revert back to the old style of windows. Aero, however still appears to be working as I still get the glass effect. I have posted below the problem event description.

I have looked in my event log to try to find the error that occurred at the same time, but all I could find is the error that says svchost.exe failed.

What could be the problem?

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: BEX

Application Name: svchost.exe

Application Version: 6.0.6001.18000

Application Timestamp: 47918b89

Fault Module Name: unknown

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000

Exception Offset: 69ee613b

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Data: 00000008

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Friday, August 15, 2008 10:03 PM

All replies

• I have been having the exact same problem! I've done a System Restore and it still continues to happen! My laptop only works in Safemode now!
    Monday, September 22, 2008 10:24 PM
  • I was out yesterday and I come back to my computer and I have 6 pop up messages saying 'Host Process For Windows Services has stopped working.'  I try to click out them but they show up again instantly.  I, too, checked the event log and svchost.exe was the fautling application.  Which sucks because it's a part of the host service as far as I know and is pretty important in keeping windows running smoothly and quickly.  I have not noticed any decrease in performance at all.  It's just an annoyance.  However, my RAM useage went up about 15%.......
    Monday, January 5, 2009 5:13 AM