Window Update is froze RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Update has froze at 82% (56 of 67 updates); it's been at that percentage for over an hour.  I tried to simply stop the download by clicking STOP DOWNLOAD, but nothing happens other than a change of color for the button.
    What do I do?  Can I restart my computer then retry to update?
    I have Windows Vista Home Edition on a Dell Studio- no other problems known

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 1:33 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Wait if you can afford the time or restart the computer when you can't to check the result.

If any issue occurs, run system restore and get back to previous stage.

Please collect the WindowsUpdate.log file

1. Click the "Start" Button, type "WindowsUpdate.log" (without the quotes) in the Search Bar and Press Enter. We will see a file named "WindowsUpdate.log"
    2. Now click on the "File" menu and then click on the "Save As".
    3. From the left panel, click "Desktop" and click the Save button.

The file will be saved to your Desktop. You can upload the collected files to SkyDrive, and let me know the URL by replying this thread. For detailed steps on how to upload files with SkyDrive, please refer to:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

The above Windows Live ID is ONLY for collecting troubleshooting information. Please do NOT send your questions to it. For any new questions, please post in the forums so that more MSFT, MVP and community members can help you.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 10:08 AM