none
Reboot loop after upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There, and thank-you for taking the time to read my question.

Here is my problem:

I recently overhauled my computer (Windows 7 64 Ultimate), resetting the cpu and video card, as well as extending my liquid cooling loop to the video card and memory. I completed the installation, and the computer booted fine.

I ran some benchmarks, and the computer performed great. I then played a game (Bad Company 2) which was a little choppy, though nothing to alarm me. After I closed the game, though, the computer froze, with the harddrive grinding like crazy.

CTRL+ALT-Del was non responsive, so I did a cold restart. the computer posted fine, booted normally, if a little slow, and runs fine until the splash screen, where it is a little slower than normal. Then the screen goes black and the computer reboots. Occasionally, I also get BSOD, but only for a couple of seconds (too fast to read)

The computer boots fine in safe mode, as well as with networking. I have reset the BIOS to default, and performed a system restore, but no dice. I also tried the automatic windows 7 repair tool, but no-go.

I initially suspected a hardware failure (ID 10 T error, right?) but the CPU temp is good, and the voltage has not changed. My suspicion is that removing the CPU, or memory, has caused some kind of corruption in windows. I am going to try a few more things tonight, recommended in other forums, and eventually will probably just have to do a re-install.

Would love any input or suggestions, though, from those far wiser than me.

Kind Regards,

Tim Havill-Austin

Monday, June 13, 2011 4:27 AM

Answers

• On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 04:27:14 +0000, rollrboy80 wrote:

Then the screen goes black and the computer reboots. Occasionally, I also get BSOD, but only for a couple of seconds (too fast to read)

You are blue-screening and are set to the default (a poor default, in
    my view) of rebooting when that happens. Right-click on My Computer
    and choose Properties. On the "Advanced" tab, under "Startup and
    Recovery," click "Settings," then under "System failure," uncheck the
    box "Automatically restart." That will prevent it from restarting and
    keep the blue screen up.

Then you will be to read the blue screen and copy down what it says.
    Post back with that information for more help.

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP
    • Marked as answer by rollrboy80 Tuesday, June 14, 2011 12:03 AM
    Monday, June 13, 2011 7:04 PM
  • My first gut feeling is pointing me towards the video card.  Replace the drivers for the Video Card with the most updated versions and try it again.  Try switching to a different video card and see if it corrects the fault.

Tzo

Monday, June 13, 2011 8:57 PM

All replies

• On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 04:27:14 +0000, rollrboy80 wrote:

Then the screen goes black and the computer reboots. Occasionally, I also get BSOD, but only for a couple of seconds (too fast to read)

You are blue-screening and are set to the default (a poor default, in
    my view) of rebooting when that happens. Right-click on My Computer
    and choose Properties. On the "Advanced" tab, under "Startup and
    Recovery," click "Settings," then under "System failure," uncheck the
    box "Automatically restart." That will prevent it from restarting and
    keep the blue screen up.

Then you will be to read the blue screen and copy down what it says.
    Post back with that information for more help.

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP
    Monday, June 13, 2011 7:04 PM
  • My first gut feeling is pointing me towards the video card.  Replace the drivers for the Video Card with the most updated versions and try it again.  Try switching to a different video card and see if it corrects the fault.

Tzo

Monday, June 13, 2011 8:57 PM
  • Hey There, and thank you both for your input. The error was a 3b, and turned out to be the video card. I had placed a copper waterblock on it, which had caused it to not be seated properly when I turned the case over after installing it. So good spotting Tzo. Also, thanks Ken for advice on how to see BSOD. I did it though f8 options, which, unfortunatly are in Japanese on this computer.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 12:03 AM
  • On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 00:03:40 +0000, rollrboy80 wrote:

Hey There, and thank you both for your input. The error was a 3b, and turned out to be the video card. I had placed a copper waterblock on it, which had caused it to not be seated properly when I turned the case over after installing it. So good spotting Tzo. Also, thanks Ken for advice on how to see BSOD. I did it though f8 options, which, unfortunatly are in Japanese on this computer.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 3:39 PM