none
Errors Connecting to Project Server 2010 using Report Builder RRS feed

• Question

• We have been getting some errors running reports from the system, I have been tring to connect with report builder to test them out and hopefully fix them, but when I connect to the reports directory using report builder I get the following.

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Report Server has encountered a SharePoint error. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.SharePointException: Report Server has encountered a SharePoint error. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. ---> System.Exception: For more information about this error navigate to the report server on the local server machine, or enable remote errors
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WebServer.ReportingService2010Impl.ListChildren(String Item, Boolean Recursive, CatalogItem[]& CatalogItems)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WebServer.ReportingService2010.ListChildren(String ItemPath, Boolean Recursive, CatalogItem[]& CatalogItems)

Looking at it it is a simular error that we are getting when we try to run the reports.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 4:29 AM

All replies

• Hello Glenn,

I went through a similare problem and the solution was to install the service pack 1 for SQL Server 2008 R2.

To download go to this address:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2639301?wa=wsignin1.0

I hope I helped.

Hezequias Vasconcelos

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 12:14 PM
  • Hi Glenn

Were there any events in the farm in recent days, backups / restores / outages etc?

Can you run the queries against the Reporting DB database - is the data returned? If so then it's unlikely to be Project Server at fault and more likely a SharePoint farm issue.

Installing a service pack to address it seems a little harsh, given that the reports were working, the key is understanding what has changed.

Are all reports seeing this error or some?

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 8:25 PM
  • What I have found out is that we have had a clean of active directory and it may be that the old users who created them have been removed. I have the reports and a shared datasource file, going to replicate in a new project and see if they run. then from my  guess it would be the folder and permissions... but will check this morning.
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:27 PM
  • I am still having issues with this, the dicument lib that is playing up is in the BI Center and hold s about 30 report server reports and a couple of excel reports. I have been able to download the reports and create a new solution in visual studio, all of the reports in the solution work against the shared datasource.

Now I am unable to publish it back to the server, I keep getting user not found errors on the libs I have even tried using a new lib, but it is not working. I have checked the security and it is now inherited from the parent pwa site as it should. and still no luck.

When I look at the lists where the reports are the author of the list is set to "User not found"... How do I set this to a known user. :(

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:02 AM
  • It may be a question better for either the SharePoint groups or Reporting Services groups.

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 10:51 AM