In Windows 10, is there a way to edit the boot sequence? RRS feed

• Question

• When I boot my windows 10 desktop for some strange reason my Ethernet adapter doesn't start.

It happens sometimes when I put it in sleep mode and it sometimes happens after a shutdown. 

Wondering if I can edit the boot sequence so that the Ethernet adapter starts first.

Is this possible and if so, how do I do it?

Thanks

Rick M.

Thursday, January 9, 2020 11:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Rick,

By default, Ethernet adapter always starts before system starts. That’s why we can use PXE boot to install system.

So for your question, please go to Device Manager -> Network adapters, find out the Ethernet adapter, right-click it and select Properties, Power Management tab, make sure Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power option is untick.

Then, turn off Windows 10 fast startup.

Check your BIOS settings.

Similar case here:

https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/782479-Integrated-Network-Adapter-will-not-start-on-cold-startup

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 10, 2020 2:09 AM