Server 2012 DirectAccess Capacity Planning RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am looking to deploy a multi-site DA 2012 deployment.  Each site will have a 2 node array using NLB.  I am looking for a capacity planning guide for 2012 URA to make sure I have it over spec'd for failover to one site.  There is approx 1200 users in total, so worst case scenario if 1000 users need to access the array I need to have capacity.

I so far have gone with 2x4 processors and 8GB RAM per server.  This is hosted as a ESX guest.  I understand IPHTTPS is now lighter if connecting with a win 8 client and Teredo makes better use of processors.

Any thoughts apreciated 

Thursday, January 31, 2013 6:23 PM

All replies

• AFAIK no public guide is available.

It all depends on how much traffic a typical client generates. One thing that comes into play is that NLB doesn't really work well with bandwidth usage exceeding 500 Mb/s. Maybe your internet connection "handles" this for you (available bandwidth being less than 500 Mb/s).

I would go with the above spec to start with and do performance monitoring, personally I would consider more RAM but as you are using load balancing you can always throw in another node.

As there aren't any guidelines yet and I don't know anything about your clients traffic profile, perfromance monitor is your friend. You also need to be prepared to add extra resources to your servers.

Hth, Anders Janson Enfo Zipper

Friday, February 1, 2013 9:41 AM