sharepoint 2007 migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi techies,

We have a 1 WFE and 1 DB hosting sharepoint 2007. what we have in that is , 1 web application and inside that 1 sitecollection. this site collection has number of subsites( Around 40-50) and the site collection act as intranet to our org. Most of the data is list/libraraies, publishing sites, dataview webparts, lot of infopath forms.

Now we are planning to migrate this to sharepoint 2010, what can b the best way to do this, there is no custom codin on server, but we have lot of customisation through sharepoint designer and infopath.

Please guide me on this?

also the dataview / dataform created in sp 2007, are they gonna get affeted after migration? do we need to create these web parts from scratch in sharepoint 2010?

regards,

Rohit

Regards, Rohit
    Sunday, December 4, 2011 11:27 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

There are a lot of resources out there for migrating from MOSS 2007 to SharePoint server 2010. You need to have at least SP2 for MOSS 2007 installed on your WFE server. After that you can check the status of your farm running stsadm -o preupgradecheck.

I have published a checklist for migration, check it out:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/checklist-for-migrating-from-sharepoint-2007-to-sharepoint-2010.aspx

This technet link provide you with a comprehensive guide:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc303420.aspx

The best approach is to set up a separate SharePoint 2010 farm and the perform a database attach migration. You simply take a backup of your content database and the restore it to your new SQL server, then attach it to a web application you have created. See the checklist I have provided above.

Regards
    Henrik A. Halmstrand
    sharepointrevealed.com
    getspconfig.codeplex.com
    Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.
    Sunday, December 4, 2011 11:51 AM
  • Hi Rohit,

Henrik provides some very useful links that you should definitely review. In addition, I would suggest that you check the SharePoint 2010 hardware requirements. They are much different than MOSS 2007. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262485.aspx#section2

Please Mark Answered if my reply solves your problem. Thanks!
    Sunday, December 4, 2011 2:49 PM
  • Thanks Henrik/ Jeff with these guidelines..

I am clear about all the software/hardware system requirment

My concern is, we have lot of workflows and infopath forms implemetned in sp 2007...is there a way keep these workflow and infopath forms intact after migration, so that we neeed not do the hell lot of rework?

Regards, Rohit
    Monday, December 5, 2011 7:25 AM
  • Hi Rohit,

It's hard for us to tell you if your infopath forms and workflows will work in the new environment, but stsadm -o preupgradecheck can tell you if there is any issue or compatibility problems with your froms. Run it and analyse the result.

Regards
    Henrik A. Halmstrand
    sharepointrevealed.com
    getspconfig.codeplex.com
    Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.
    Monday, December 5, 2011 9:13 AM
  • Wow...that was a quick response..thank you..

Yeah, i can understand, its meaningless to ask abt workflow/infopath behaviour without providing details, what i want to know is; with which method in-place upgrade or database approach, the workflow created through sharepoint designer will be carried away?

Regards, Rohit
    Monday, December 5, 2011 10:05 AM
  • thanks for sharing Henrik, the links are presented the all information about migration of SharePoint, thanks a lot

EP!!

Friday, March 28, 2014 6:46 PM