none
When converted vhd is attached, hyper-v vm does not boot. Even not from ISO RRS feed

• Question

• I have been rolling out Hyper-V hosts and creating Hyper-V VM's for quite a while now. Everything fine, until this case. I need some greater minds to shed some light on this. 

I need to convert a running Windows 2008 R2 server with 8 GB RAM into a Hyper-V VM. We need this machine so we can run a specific old software (from time to time), and the physical machine is acting up. My Hyper-V host runs Windows 2019 Hyper-V host, has enough physical RAM (16 GB). It has been used to create and run all kinds of VM's (Windows 2008 server --> Windows 2019 server), Windows 10 etc.. Never failed. RAID 10 on harddisks and enough room.

I have tried a few ways to create the VHD file for this running server. Straight from the server with disk2vhd, and from system recovery backups created by Veritas Back-up Exec System Recovery (tried a few versions of the software). My VHD's contain all the files I see on the real server, and the real server has only one partition. No hidden partitions (checked with diskpart). 

The VM I create has the same amount of RAM as the real one, Generation 1. When I attach an iso to it, with the Windows 2008 R2 boot disk, it boots just as expected. Once I attach the VHD to it, it never boots. Black screen, blinking cursor (if the VHD is the first boot drive), sentence showing I need to push any key to start booting from DVD if the DVD is the first boot device. But the VM does not boot. Once I disconnect the VHD, the same VM boots fine. 

Tried creating a blank VHD for the same VM: VM boots fine. 

I have never has this experience with Hyper-V and none of my Google searches bring this scenario up. Any ideas? 

Next up I will try a competitive system to boot the VHD.

Kind regards,

Wouter Pinkhof

Wouter Pinkhof PINKH bvba, PC-Hulp.com

Sunday, July 19, 2020 5:47 PM

Answers

• Hi wouterpinkhof,

You may remove the divers not necessary to the VM such as the raid driver. Have you tried Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2012-r2-and-2012/dn873998(v=ws.11)#supported-configurations-for-converting-a-physical-machine-to-hyper-v

Best Regards,

Ian

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Ian Xue Thursday, July 23, 2020 2:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by wouterpinkhof Saturday, July 25, 2020 7:07 AM
    Thursday, July 23, 2020 2:16 AM
  • OK, found what the issue was. Your snapshotting apparently fails (or can fail) when database programs are running. On this particular server, we had one SQLserver and one MySQL database running. Stopping the services, allowed the MVMC to start running correctly. 

Overnight, the conversion was done, and when I looked this morning, it failed on the last step: the creation of the VM. Since the VHD looked good, and was visible in the correct spot, I went ahead and created the VM and attached the VHD. Lo and behold: the virtualised server now boots correctly ! For the first time. And... the specific old software works correctly. 

What can I take away from this?

1. The other tools I tried are not worth using. They are a distraction. 

2. Ian needs to be thanked for his excellent suggestion. I never considered using the MVMC. 

3. This forum remains awesome; I have found solutions many times, and contributed sometimes. 

Cheers,

Wouter, one happy user. 

Saturday, July 25, 2020 7:07 AM

All replies

• Hello wouterpinkhof,

If the image is created by several utilities and the result is the same, it's likely that the image is good and the problem lies elsewhere. I have had this problem as well. In my case, it was the RAID driver which was copied over from the hardware image. It was trying to load on the VM and crashing the system. Check if the system you imaged was SCSI/SAS and if the VM controller is SATA or vice versa. I'm not saying this is your case, but it's something you may want to look at.

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services
    https://www.falconitservices.com

Sunday, July 19, 2020 6:02 PM
  • Hi Miguel,

The physical RAID adapter on the server is an LSI Embedded MegaRAID running plain SATA disks. The VM just has the VHD attached to an IDE Controller. Hyper-V says boot disks need to be attached to the IDE controller (SCSI is for data only)

Kind regards,

Wouter

Sunday, July 19, 2020 6:37 PM
  • Physical to virtual conversion can be an iffy process in some situations, as you have found out.  Sometimes it just doesn't work.  The converted image may also contain artifacts from the conversion process that can make debugging difficult.  The recommended way is to create a new VM, install the the desired operating system, configure and patch it, then install the desired application.

tim

Monday, July 20, 2020 12:34 PM
  • Hi wouterpinkhof,

You may remove the divers not necessary to the VM such as the raid driver. Have you tried Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2012-r2-and-2012/dn873998(v=ws.11)#supported-configurations-for-converting-a-physical-machine-to-hyper-v

Best Regards,

Ian

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Ian Xue Thursday, July 23, 2020 2:18 AM
    Thursday, July 23, 2020 2:16 AM
  • Tried the MVMC, but it fails at making the volume snapshot. Google brings up third party backup software as the culprit. We have Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery running on the physical server. It needs to stay there, since this is a production server that needs backing up every night. 

Is there a workaroud. I see stuff about BITS and  "Compact Server" . Do I need to check if that is installed on the server that handles the conversion? 

Wouter

• Unmarked as answer by wouterpinkhof Saturday, July 25, 2020 7:07 AM
    Friday, July 24, 2020 3:49 PM
  • OK, found what the issue was. Your snapshotting apparently fails (or can fail) when database programs are running. On this particular server, we had one SQLserver and one MySQL database running. Stopping the services, allowed the MVMC to start running correctly. 

Overnight, the conversion was done, and when I looked this morning, it failed on the last step: the creation of the VM. Since the VHD looked good, and was visible in the correct spot, I went ahead and created the VM and attached the VHD. Lo and behold: the virtualised server now boots correctly ! For the first time. And... the specific old software works correctly. 

What can I take away from this?

1. The other tools I tried are not worth using. They are a distraction. 

2. Ian needs to be thanked for his excellent suggestion. I never considered using the MVMC. 

3. This forum remains awesome; I have found solutions many times, and contributed sometimes. 

Cheers,

Wouter, one happy user. 

Saturday, July 25, 2020 7:07 AM