none
Questions about Backup exec and DPM 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm  using backup exec scenario and i want to move to Use DPM

But i need your advice of the below questions

1. backup exec   create  bkf file    , Does DPM create a backup file can i recatalog it on  another PDM Server  ?
    2. In backup exec  i  backup  all BKF files to the tapes  , So in case of the disaster recover i can rebuild the backup exec server and restore all bkf files, or can i restore a single bkf file from tape and re-catalog it and restore it to the protected server (like file server)   , can I backup DPM protected data to tape  , so can I restore it or re-catalog it on  a new server in case of the disaster recover of the DOM itself ?

thanks

Ramy Shaker

Friday, February 15, 2013 12:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Q1) backup exec   create  bkf file    , Does DPM create a backup file can i recatalog it on  another PDM Server  ?
    A1) DPM stores backups in native file format on the replica volume.  All previous versions of the files are in shadow copies.  DPM file catalog is a SQL database, so as long as you have backup of DPM SQL DB, and the disk storage is available, you can recover the DPM server and restore backups.

Q2) In backup exec  i  backup  all BKF files to the tapes  , So in case of the disaster recover i can rebuild the backup exec server and restore all bkf files, or can i restore a single bkf file from tape and re-catalog it and restore it to the protected server (like file server)   , can I backup DPM protected data to tape  , so can I restore it or re-catalog it on  a new server in case of the disaster recover of the DOM itself ?
    A2)  DPM supports long term protection to tape (D2D2T) and also a secondary DPM server in an offsite location. Should the primary DPM Server fail, you can recover from tape after a DPM Server rebuild (se answer 1) or from secondary DPM Server directly.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, February 15, 2013 8:29 PM