none
Using Steady State with Vista parental controls RRS feed

• Question

•  

Steady State is very good for locking down a "family" computer. However, as far as I know, it doesn't allow you to set ratings for internet access for user accounts based on site content, which Vista parental controls do (via certification, e.g. you can prevent a user from accessing sites, games etc. which are rated above a certain age).

If an account is created using Steady State, can that account be modified using Vista parental controls and vice-versa or will it create problems because of the way the accounts are created?

To be honest, I find Steady State superior in many respects to Vista parental controls for user accounts but it's frustrating that you can't limit access to websites by certification etc. May be missing something but is there any way around this?

And would Microsoft consider creating a "hybrid" Steady State which includes the parental control features in Vista?

Thanks  

Friday, December 19, 2008 8:11 AM

Answers

• Hi Sean

Thanks again for the advice. However, I need to fine tune internet access with 1 or 2 clicks rather than enter a string of urls which is too time consuming. My kids visit too many sites anyway so I'd be hours sifting through allowed and not allowed sites. The web filter on patental controls is perfect, but I'd like this feature in Steady State.

OK, guess I'll opt for Vista's parental controls.

Thanks for your help. 

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 8:07 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Veestarh, I would like to inform you that to set rating for Internet access, we can also use "Internet Properties" – Content tab – Enable Content Advisor. Thus, Windows SteadyState does not include this kind of "rating system". Meanwhile, both Content Advisor and Parental Control should be work fine with Windows SteadyState. Please feel free to let us know if you have encountered any potential issue while using SteadyState with Parental Control. Thank you.

Monday, December 22, 2008 7:05 AM
  • Hi Sean

Thanks for the info. and reply.

I don't know whether Steady State was tested with Vista Parental controls when the former was being developed. This is just my experience...

If I set Steady State controls for an account, save them, then go into Vista parental controls to try and "fine tune" the account using features not available in Steady State, then save with parental controls enabled, then go back into the account using Steady State, Vista parental control settings seem to overide those of Steady State. Case in point - having done this very thing I noticed that all Steady State blocked programs had been erased. Effectively I had to block certain programs all over again even though none were blocked using Vista paental controls. 

My own feeling is that Steady State and Vista parental controls treat accounts differently, but I'm no expert on this!

But it's a little frustrating. I can understand why both have been developed and what their "target" is, but to be honest, both contain features which are useful! 

Also, Internet explorer uses the ICRA3 rating system? Are other rating systems available for download which are more precise than ICRA3 as the list of prohibitions seems a little limited.

Thanks

Monday, December 22, 2008 8:04 AM
  •  

Thank you for your update. We will send your valuable feedback to our product group regarding the issue. If you would like to restrict Internet access, you can also try the function in Windows SteadyState:

Web Addresses Allowed

If you select the Prevent Internet access (except Web sites below) option under Internet Explorer Restrictions, you can type the address of the Web sites available to the user profile in the Web Addresses Allowed check box. To enter multiple Web addresses, separate each Web address with a semicolon; for example, type microsoft.com; msn.com.

Note:  Do not enter the protocol prefixes http: or https: in the Web Addresses Allowed box when you enter Web addresses you want to allow the user profile to access.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 3:27 AM
  • Hi Sean

Thanks again for the advice. However, I need to fine tune internet access with 1 or 2 clicks rather than enter a string of urls which is too time consuming. My kids visit too many sites anyway so I'd be hours sifting through allowed and not allowed sites. The web filter on patental controls is perfect, but I'd like this feature in Steady State.

OK, guess I'll opt for Vista's parental controls.

Thanks for your help. 

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 8:07 AM