Run 32 bit program in Windows 10 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I want to run this compiler in Windows 10 64bit. seems this is just created for a 32-bit operating system.

How can I run it? Should I install a 32-bit operating system?

http://inside.mines.edu/~tcamp/baci/baci_index.html#Obtain

BACI DOS executables: updated November 09, 2005
      Note: The BACI DOS executables run satisfactorily in the MS-DOS Command Prompt Window of any of the Microsoft Windows operating systems (Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000).

• Edited by Arash_89 Wednesday, October 30, 2019 5:00 PM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2019 4:55 PM

Answers

• Hello,

It looks like the installer for this 32-bit program is using a 16 bit installer which is why it will not install on 64-bit Windows.

Is there an updated version of the compiler that has a 32-bit Installer?  If there is not a version with a32-bit installer, then yes you should install a 32-bit version of Windows 10

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 5:24 PM
  • as the message box title "Unsupported 16-bit application" points out: this is not a 32 bit program.
    Windows x64 has workarounds for some installers that were 16bit, but that does not help here.

You could try to run this in Dosbox, or in a VM with with a 32bit OS (which can run 16bit programs).
    • Marked as answer by Arash_89 Thursday, October 31, 2019 7:58 AM
    Thursday, October 31, 2019 5:22 AM

All replies

• Hello,

It looks like the installer for this 32-bit program is using a 16 bit installer which is why it will not install on 64-bit Windows.

Is there an updated version of the compiler that has a 32-bit Installer?  If there is not a version with a32-bit installer, then yes you should install a 32-bit version of Windows 10

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 5:24 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you for your answer,

Sometimes I could install 32-bit software in Windows 10 64 bit. Why cannot I now?

What's the difference between compiler(software in the first post) and other 32-bit software?

Thursday, October 31, 2019 4:52 AM
  • as the message box title "Unsupported 16-bit application" points out: this is not a 32 bit program.
    Windows x64 has workarounds for some installers that were 16bit, but that does not help here.

You could try to run this in Dosbox, or in a VM with with a 32bit OS (which can run 16bit programs).
    • Marked as answer by Arash_89 Thursday, October 31, 2019 7:58 AM
    Thursday, October 31, 2019 5:22 AM