my laptop keeps freezing RRS feed

• Question

• hi my name is marcello and my laptop running windows 7 is freezing up randomly and the speaker makes a buzzing noise and wont unfreeze for several minutes up to an hour. The laptop has no viruses and is up to date with everything what can i do to fix the problem?
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 4:11 PM

Answers

• You may boot in Clean Boot Mode.

Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program

If the issue persists in Clean Boot Mode, please go to the computer manufacturer's website and find if there is Windows 7 audio driver.

If the issue persists after you update the audio driver, please try to check the driver signature. To do so, in Start Search box enter sigverif.exe. Then click the start button in “File Signature Verification”. In the result list, please pick up *.sys files, rename one of them and then shut down or restart to check if the issue still occurs. If the issue persists, rename another *.sys file listed in the result of driver signature verifying, and check result again. By doing so we can determine which un-singed driver is the root cause.

If the above steps does not work, I suggest you contact the laptop manufacturer support and check hardware problems.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, June 6, 2011 9:11 AM
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 7:44 AM
  • It can be a either sound card drivers or hardware issue.

As Arthur Xie mentioned, check adn download latest, signed drivers for the card.

Bart

Bart Kurowski IT Desktop Support Analyst, MCP, MCTS, MCITP, MCAS
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 8:04 PM

All replies

• You may boot in Clean Boot Mode.

Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program

If the issue persists in Clean Boot Mode, please go to the computer manufacturer's website and find if there is Windows 7 audio driver.

If the issue persists after you update the audio driver, please try to check the driver signature. To do so, in Start Search box enter sigverif.exe. Then click the start button in “File Signature Verification”. In the result list, please pick up *.sys files, rename one of them and then shut down or restart to check if the issue still occurs. If the issue persists, rename another *.sys file listed in the result of driver signature verifying, and check result again. By doing so we can determine which un-singed driver is the root cause.

If the above steps does not work, I suggest you contact the laptop manufacturer support and check hardware problems.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 7:44 AM
  • It can be a either sound card drivers or hardware issue.

As Arthur Xie mentioned, check adn download latest, signed drivers for the card.

Bart

Bart Kurowski IT Desktop Support Analyst, MCP, MCTS, MCITP, MCAS
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 8:04 PM