none
Client Issues with GPO for Mapping Network Drives

Question

• Hi All,

I am having a significantly irritating issue related to Group Policy Management in Windows Server 2012.

I am mapping drives for client PC's yet every few hours they get a "Location is not available" message, presumably because the drive is remapping itself. As you can imagine the end users are getting increasingly more agitated (and rightly so).

It doesn't happen to me, but that is because I rarely use the mapped drives or work with documents off them. So it appears to only happen when file explorer is open and/or when they are working on documents stored on a server with that drive mapped.

I have tried create and replace, and both of these give the same error. 

Some guidance would be great!

Tuesday, November 01, 2016 11:17 AM

All replies

• Hi. You need to check the connections on Shared directory computer which you want to map to.

______________________________________________________________ Sincerely! Khalid Garayev

Tuesday, November 01, 2016 11:56 AM
  • Hi Khalid,

Please could you clarify what you mean?

Thanks.

Tuesday, November 01, 2016 12:35 PM
  • Hi.

Group Policy is the only way to to assigning the path for mapped drives to Client machines. I don't think so that your GPO has a problem. I think the problem is on computer which you have shared folders which will be mapped. Also GPO has reconnect function for mapped drives. And it's also will not affect to mapped drives. Because it will only check the drive on client computer it has or not. If has not it will create drive again. 

I mention that you will need to check the connections for you server which has shared folders for mapping.

______________________________________________________________ Sincerely! Khalid Garayev

Tuesday, November 01, 2016 12:58 PM
  • Hi,
    Please have a try to run gpupdate /force command and see if the error could be produced again. If yes, it might relate to group policy, in this case, please try Update action in the group policy and see if it works.
    If the error could not be re-produced, as Khalid said, we might need to troubleshoot from other aspects. Here is a similar question discussed in the following article, you could take a look and use for reference:
    https://techjourney.net/location-is-not-available-when-copying-moving-with-mapped-network-drive/
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    In addition, please refer to the following KB to see if it works:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/2907020
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 02, 2016 4:01 AM
  • > I have tried create and replace, and both of these give the same error.

Use "update" instead. Starting with Win8, GP Drive maps get applied
    during periodic background GP Refresh, and "replace" means "disconnect,
    then reconnect".

Wednesday, November 02, 2016 7:42 AM
  • Martin,

Update did not fix the issue, the message continues.

Thanks

Andrew

Thursday, November 03, 2016 5:51 PM
  • > Update did not fix the issue, the message continues.

Then I suggest creating a RSoP report (gpresult /h report.html) and
    carefully examine all drive mappings contained.

Friday, November 04, 2016 11:53 AM
  • HI.

Try to map the drive manually

cmd--> net use D: (letter for the mapping drive) "\\yourserver\shredfolderformapping" 

ANd restart the computer. If you will see that on the drive has X be sure that you have problems with the connection. Also try to keep the computer to pinging.

ping -t "yoursharedfolderplacedcomputer"

Saturday, November 05, 2016 8:05 AM
  • Okay well it does appear to be related to the connection as the drives have an x on them on startup on occasions. 
    Tuesday, November 08, 2016 12:36 PM
  • Hi,

Appreciate for your feedback and update, how is the issue going?

If the replies as above are helpful, you could mark them as answer which will be greatly helpful to others. If you have own solutions, we would appreciate for your share to us.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, November 11, 2016 1:44 AM