Inputs Don't Work, No Mice Work At All RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello, just recently my Dell XPS M1530 stopped recgonizing input from Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, SP1.

Input was tested outside of Windows in BIOS and a bootable CD environment and works fine.

In Windows the integrated keyboard doesn't work, but my Microsoft wireless desktop keyboard works however the mouse doesn't. Absolutely no mice work at all. USB Mouse doesn't work, Bluetooth mouse doesn't work.

Thus the only working device is the keyboard which is wireless connected via USB. The mouse, which is part of the same set and connects to the same USB device, doesn't work. I've been able to navigate with the mouse-numlock keys.

In Device Manager, I have an Unknown category, and under it is "Dell TouchPad", exclamation, code 10. And about 3-4 "HID-Complient mouse" with question marks next to them.

There are no restore points. Safe Mode returns the same results. Check disk has been ran.

I've tried uninstalling all Human Interface Devices. I've tried reinstalling the Dell TouchPad driver.

I am out of ideas. Any ideas aside from an OSRI?

Thursday, May 8, 2008 4:27 PM

Answers

• Hi, thank you for the reply!

Unfortunately you are too late, I became frustrated and re-installed Vista.

The problem occured randomly, the next day I turned on my computer the input devices didn't work. Nothing new installed, no automatic updates, I can't think of anything.

It appeared the Windows HID mouse drivers became corrupt or something, as no mouse at all worked.

As far as the keyboard goes, I did something with removing all the drivers and it would work up until I touched the touchpad, then it died.

But now, everything works fine. I knew my hardware was fine, just couldn't figure out why Vista freaked out. Like I said, safe mode didn't work and nothing else did. I'm pretty certain it wasn't a software conflict but more of a driver corruption with no means to re-install the correct Vista HID-comlient mouse drivers.

I tried SFC /SCANNOW too, it didn't find anything.

Windows DID detect each time I inserted the mouse and keyboard, but they wouldn't work. Just detected them...
    Monday, May 12, 2008 11:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

When did the error happen? If it happened after you installing some softwares, please uninstall this software as there maybe some conflicts.

Also, please run "msinfo32" to check whether you can find you import device.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Monday, May 12, 2008 11:44 AM
  • Hi, thank you for the reply!

Unfortunately you are too late, I became frustrated and re-installed Vista.

The problem occured randomly, the next day I turned on my computer the input devices didn't work. Nothing new installed, no automatic updates, I can't think of anything.

It appeared the Windows HID mouse drivers became corrupt or something, as no mouse at all worked.

As far as the keyboard goes, I did something with removing all the drivers and it would work up until I touched the touchpad, then it died.

But now, everything works fine. I knew my hardware was fine, just couldn't figure out why Vista freaked out. Like I said, safe mode didn't work and nothing else did. I'm pretty certain it wasn't a software conflict but more of a driver corruption with no means to re-install the correct Vista HID-comlient mouse drivers.

I tried SFC /SCANNOW too, it didn't find anything.

Windows DID detect each time I inserted the mouse and keyboard, but they wouldn't work. Just detected them...
    Monday, May 12, 2008 11:40 PM
  • Hi,

I'm glad that the problem has been resolved. Maybe it was caused by the virus.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 8:11 AM