Put Hyper-V vm in saved state to export? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to store copies of my vm's off the server. I have snapshots that I've tried exporting to the C: drive, but nothing ever shows up in the designated folder.

When I click on the vm I want to export, there is no export option in the Actions Menu or the pane. Instructions online have been mixed, some say you have to put the VM in a saved state to export, and some don't mention putting it in a saved state at all.

I'm guessing you have to put it in a save state for the export option to even show up. Correct? If that is in fact the case, how does this affect the running VM? Also, I don't want to remove the VM from the server, I just want to store a copy of it somewhere else. Will exporting it remove it from the machine?

Also, why are my snapshot exports not working?

Monday, July 12, 2010 5:03 PM

Answers

• Snapshot export is a feature of Hyper-V R2 (not Hyper-V v1).

The rules of Export is that the VM must be powered off (not saved, not paused).

Exporting creates a complete copy of the VM that can be "imported" to any Hyper-V Server. 

Export will preserve the full snapshot history and states (if the entire VM is exported).  Exporting a particular snapshot results in a single VM with no snapshot history (a standalone VM).

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful)
    • Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Thursday, July 15, 2010 6:01 AM
    Monday, July 12, 2010 5:23 PM

All replies

• First you have to ensure that the virtual machine to be exported is either powered off or in a saved state.

Once the export dialog is displayed, the next step is to decide where to save the export files. The target location may be entered directly into the text field, or the Browse button used to navigate graphically to the target destination.

The export location of the virtual machine can be any file system which is visible to the local Hyper-V server host system, including local disk drives, removable storage or remotely mounted volumes on the target Hyper-V Server.

The only requirement is that the designated volume has sufficient free space to store the virtual machine configuration, virtual hard drives and snapshots. If only the configuration files for the virtual machine are to be exported, the Export only virtual machine configuration option should also be selected. Within the designated location, a sub-folder with the name of the virtual machine will be created to contain the exported data.

Soumya has published a great series of posts over on the virtualization team blog talking about a number of the changes that have gone into import / export in Windows Server 2008 R2.  Here is a quick set of links to gather them all together:

Monday, July 12, 2010 5:22 PM
  • Snapshot export is a feature of Hyper-V R2 (not Hyper-V v1).

The rules of Export is that the VM must be powered off (not saved, not paused).

Exporting creates a complete copy of the VM that can be "imported" to any Hyper-V Server. 

Export will preserve the full snapshot history and states (if the entire VM is exported).  Exporting a particular snapshot results in a single VM with no snapshot history (a standalone VM).

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful)
    • Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Thursday, July 15, 2010 6:01 AM
    Monday, July 12, 2010 5:23 PM