How do I get Windows Media Player to recognize my Sansa Express MP3 player? RRS feed

• Question

• My Sansa Express MP3 player is no longer recognized by Windows Media Player on my computer (XP SP3).  It will charge okay but I can't sync any files to it and it doesn't show up in the Device Manager.  Works just fine on my other computer, also XP SP3.  I am running WMP 11.
    Sunday, May 6, 2012 6:44 AM

All replies

• If your player requires a driver installation, try forcing a hardware detection in the Device Manager console.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award

Sunday, May 6, 2012 5:59 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  How do I "force a hardware detection"?  I went to the Device Manage console and couldn't find anything.

Bart

Sunday, May 6, 2012 6:17 PM
  • Highlight the computer name and click on "Action" in menu list: in that list, select "Scan for Hardware Changes".
    Also take a look at the Microsoft Knowledge Base article that you find at the following address

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314464/en-us

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award

Sunday, May 6, 2012 6:31 PM
  • Thanks for your efforts but still no luck.  Did as you suggested and after clicking on "Scan for Hardware Changes". it scanned for a few seconds and then finished with nothing detected.  I went to the Microsoft link you suggested and then followed their suggestion and searched for the Sansa Express driver.  In the process I found Driver Genius which I installed and it did a free scan of all my drivers and, lo and behold, it found I had a good up-to-date Sansa Express driver but it doesn't recognize that the Sansa Express is plugged in.  Tried another USB port still no luck.

So it seems as if the driver (and computer) are not recognizing the Sansa Express when plugged even though I am able to charge it.  Any more ideas??

Bart

Sunday, May 6, 2012 9:43 PM