none
SBS 2011 security status RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we are using SBS 2011 Standard with Windows XP SP3 clients. All the clients are running a recent version of AVG Anti-Virus Business Edition. Yet when looking at the security status in the SBS console, "No anti-virus product was found" is displayed for ALL clients (that are online).

When looking at the security center on the clients, AVG is found and listed with a green checkmark. So Windows on the client knows about the anti virus product, yet this information doesn't make it to the server somehow. What could be wrong here? Other things like Windows updates or the firewall status on each client is shown correctly on the server. Also I can run WMI queries remotely on the clients without problems.

Friday, July 20, 2012 2:44 PM

Answers

• Thank you.

I believe I found the reason, the security center on the clients was disabled via a group policy setting (a leftover from the migration of SBS 2003). Of course I started the security center before asking my question here, but apparently you have to wait multiple hours before the SBS console refreshes the security status. On Friday evening all clients still showed "no anti-virus found", even after logging off/on, restarting the SBS console, pressing F5 in the console and restarting the clients, and this morning the clients where I started the security center on Friday magically turned green.

Does anyone know how to purge the cache of the SBS console, so that you can manually force a refresh?

• Marked as answer by welph Monday, July 23, 2012 7:49 AM
    Monday, July 23, 2012 7:49 AM

All replies

• To start with

when you run

wmic /user:username /password:password /node:"machinename" systemenclosure get serialnumber   from the server to the client (machinename) are you able to get the serial number of the remote client machine ?

any specific events in event logs ?

Have you tried reinstalling AV  on one particular client and reboot to check if it still shows no AV found?

Since all the clients have avg installed can you check installing a trial version of let say symantec and check if it still says no av found?

You can also refer to suggestions in this post http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/smallbusinessserver/thread/297ea090-83ea-4484-a0fc-e9c20f7d69f6

Friday, July 20, 2012 3:20 PM
  • Try turning off your server firewall temporarily and refresh the list.  We had a similar issue to this and it was the server firewall.  Not sure what exceptions you may need to add are though
    Monday, July 23, 2012 7:02 AM
  • Thank you.

I believe I found the reason, the security center on the clients was disabled via a group policy setting (a leftover from the migration of SBS 2003). Of course I started the security center before asking my question here, but apparently you have to wait multiple hours before the SBS console refreshes the security status. On Friday evening all clients still showed "no anti-virus found", even after logging off/on, restarting the SBS console, pressing F5 in the console and restarting the clients, and this morning the clients where I started the security center on Friday magically turned green.

Does anyone know how to purge the cache of the SBS console, so that you can manually force a refresh?

• Marked as answer by welph Monday, July 23, 2012 7:49 AM
    Monday, July 23, 2012 7:49 AM