isolate user accounts RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm setting up a workstation for software development purposes. While i'm gone, i'd like to allow others to also use the machine. I'm running Win XP SP3.

I'm looking for a way to completely isolate different user accounts. In this way, they cannot interfere with my development tools, they can install/uninstall all they want and surf on the internet on the most untrustworthy sites ever. When i want to clean the PC, i can save the user's documents, delete the user and everything he installed will be deleted (including the registry). This also means that if one user installs software, another cannot use it and also has to install it.

Can anyone advice me on this? I have checked Sandboxie, but not all software that i've tested responded well to it; also it's not meant for this use and it would be too unfriendly to the users. Now i'm looking into  iCore, it doesn't seem too promising, but i couldn't find alternatives. I believe that VMware, VPC, VBox is overkill, because we'll all use Win XP.

I'm looking forward very much to your replies with suggestions!

Thank you in advance!

Jan.

• Edited by Jan Meeusen Thursday, February 24, 2011 1:41 PM typo
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 5:15 PM

All replies

• i dont think Microsoft Virtual PC is an "overkill" in this scenario because you want to shield your development environment from the wiles of the physical pc use and/or misuse.Thats just what virtualization is meant for! in case of physical/Host OS compromise,you can always have a backup(which is always very small ) of your development disk as a virtual disk. i suggest you go with virtualization tech.
    Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 10:08 PM
  • Ow, i didn't mention something. Once i've found a way to isolate the user accounts, i want to look for way to give remote access to them. In this way, others can also work while i'm busy.

This means that in a VPC solution, if 2 others are working remote and i'm working physically behind the screen, that there would be 3 OS's running at the same time: 1 host and 2 guests. I did buy a decent development machine, but this would be slowing things down.

Does anyone has experience with "thin clients"? I don't know the details about it, but could this concept help me? The workstation would have the computing power, while the user just needs a screen and a network connection. I'm still hoping that some Sandbox software could help me out.....

Thank you in advance!

Jan.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 1:39 PM