none
who does what when report RRS feed

• Question

• I miss the basic reports that were in the pre-2013 version of MS Project. Some of us still need printable paper or pdf reports that we can send (by email) to foremen, managers, etc. (i.e., Who does what when, To Do lists, and so on.)

How can I create them as custom reports in Project 2016 Pro?

• Edited by H_Turner Friday, October 20, 2017 4:40 PM
    Friday, October 20, 2017 4:37 PM

All replies

• By creating a query silly.
    Friday, October 20, 2017 4:49 PM
  • H_Turner --

I'm not sure what The Grim meant by "creating a query" in his reply.  I suspect he is messing with you.

Beginning with Microsoft Project 2013 version, Microsoft removed the old paper-based reports and replaced them with the new Dashboard Reports feature.  Unfortunately, the Who Does What When report cannot be recreated as a Dashboard report.  However, you CAN recreate it as a Visual Report in Excel instead.  Here's how:

1. Click Report > Visual Reports.
    2. In the Visual Reports - Create Report dialog, click the New Template button.
    3. In the Visual Reports - New Report dialog, click the Select Data Type pick list and select the Assignment Usage item on the menu.
    4. Click the OK button.  Microsoft Project will create a new visual report in Excel, containing a blank PivotTable.
    5. In the PivotTable Fields sidepane, drag the Resources dimension to the FILTERS drop area.  This will provide filtering by resources if wanted.
    6. In the PivotTable Fields sidepane, drag the Tasks field to the ROWS drop area.
    7. In the PivotTable Fields sidepane, drag the Weekly Calendar to the COLUMNS drop area.
    8. In the PivotTable Fields sidepane, drag the Work total field to the VALUES drop area.
    9. Click anywhere in the PivotTable to select it.
    10. Expand the tasks to the desired level of data.
    11. Expand the time data to the Weeks level.
    12. Click the Design tab to display the Design ribbon.
    13. In the Layout section of the ribbon, click the Subtotals pick list button and select the Do Not Show Subtotals item on the menu.
    14. In the Layout section of the ribbon, click the Report Layout pick list button and select the Show In Compact Form item on the menu.
    15. Click File > Export > Change File Type.
    16. In the Change File Type section, select the Template (*.xltx) item and click the Save As button.  The system should navigate you to your default Templates folder.
    17. Name the template Who Does What When Report and click the Save button.
    18. When prompted in a dialog about external data, click the Yes button.

You now have a Visual Report template that you can use to create your Who Does What When report by resource.  To filter the task list by resource, click the pick list button in the Resources section of the PivotTable, select the resource whose work you want to show, and then click the OK button.  One limitation of the report, of which there is nothing we can do, is that it is not possible to display dates in the Time dimension.  The best we can do is to show Week 1, Week 2, etc.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, October 20, 2017 8:32 PM
  • The Grim --

Are you messing with the user or do you know a way to address his question?  If so, please elaborate.  If not, I would kindly ask you not to mess with people in this forum.  Let us know.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, October 20, 2017 8:36 PM