Managed Folder Assistant in Exchange 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• In the middle of an online archiving project with Exchange 2016 on premise where 6 months mail is retained on premise and the rest archived to 365 via a retention policy and all placed on litigation hold as part of the process.  It appears the the managed folder assistant has changed since Exchange 2013 where you can no longer force it to complete all mailboxes in one day but can schedule instead- a fairly useless feature IMHO.

The default behaviour appears to be only 3 mailboxes are processed at the same time with usually 2000 items processed per pass. For some inexplicable reason occasionally 4000 items are processed in a pass. Either way it seems like multiples of 2000 items. Starting another managed folder assistant on another server seems to be ignored.

This makes the process painfully slow. I can manually watch the process and repeat the managed folder assistant for larger mailboxes. 

There appears to be very little information online about the MFA online for 2016. The two cmdlets have few options. What I want to know is has anyone worked out a way of getting more sessions happening at once? Our  4 mutirole servers are well and truly up to the task as they are very lightly taxed.

Monday, September 18, 2017 9:47 PM

Answers

• thanks guys,

yep a black box it is. yes making the schedule speeds it up- but you can only schedule once a day. I've managed to now archive the bulk of our users by keeping a close eye on the process and kicking off batches of 100 users at a time in a simple foreach loop with the start managed folder. I also target my larger mailboxes first - and as a result the process is quicker now.

Lets hope down the road MS introduces some tuning for this thing. Its very admin intensive right now if you need reasonably quick results

• Marked as answer by tonyholdgate Monday, September 25, 2017 2:07 AM
    Monday, September 25, 2017 2:07 AM

All replies

• The MFA is a kind of "black box" and there are very less information published about that feature. But maybe you can look at this blog post from Tony and export some logs and identify which is happening exactly: http://windowsitpro.com/blog/behind-scenes-managed-folder-assistant

- Dominik

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 10:44 AM
  • Seems like the  number of mailboxes per session cant be modified.It is taken in automatic manner.I havent tried this,but you may test this in LAB by reducing the schedule time for a day.So it will look for the number of mailboxes to be processed on that schedule and processed accordingly.This is just a thought as the schedule is maded automatically based on the number of mailboxes to be processed and in relaxed mode.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/anya/2014/11/19/understanding-of-managed-folder-assistant-with-retention-policies/

Jayakumar K

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 1:15 PM
  • thanks guys,

yep a black box it is. yes making the schedule speeds it up- but you can only schedule once a day. I've managed to now archive the bulk of our users by keeping a close eye on the process and kicking off batches of 100 users at a time in a simple foreach loop with the start managed folder. I also target my larger mailboxes first - and as a result the process is quicker now.

Lets hope down the road MS introduces some tuning for this thing. Its very admin intensive right now if you need reasonably quick results

• Marked as answer by tonyholdgate Monday, September 25, 2017 2:07 AM
    Monday, September 25, 2017 2:07 AM