WSUS server - one client that will not report RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new WSUS running on Server 2016.  All my clients have shown up in WSUS and all have reported in except for one.  This one computer had not reported into the old WSUS (running on Server 2008r2) in a long time either.  So it is certainly something going on with that one Windows 10 computer. 

Please give me some troubleshooting steps for a client situation like this.  Again, the computer shows up but has not reported status yet.  Windows 10 build 1903.

Thursday, July 2, 2020 4:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Poly Admin,

Thank you for posting on this forum.

Please refer to the following steps for troubleshooting:
    1. Check connectivity, such as firewall, ping. 
    2. Open the IE on the client and enter the following command to check whether you are prompted to download the file. 
    HTTP: // YourWSUS: 8530 /selfupdate/wuident.cab 
    3. Please refer the following picture to check the connection between client and the WSUS server:

4. Remove the client from the WSUS console. And on the affected clients to open the CMD, run the following script. Please wait a moment and then check if it is feasible.
    net stop bits
    net stop wuauserv
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v AccountDomainSid /freg 
    delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v PingID /freg 
    delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientId /freg 
    delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientIDValidation /frd /s /q "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution"
    net start bits
    net start wuauservwuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow
    usoclient.exe startscan

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to your feedback. Hope you have a good weekend.

Regards,
    Rita

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 3, 2020 2:34 AM
  • Remove the computer from the WSUS MMC Console and run the client side script.

https://www.ajtek.ca/wsus/client-machines-not-reporting-to-wsus-properly/

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    https://www.ajtek.ca
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

• Marked as answer by Poly Admin Tuesday, July 7, 2020 2:17 PM
    Friday, July 3, 2020 9:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Poly Admin,

Thank you for posting on this forum.

Please refer to the following steps for troubleshooting:
    1. Check connectivity, such as firewall, ping. 
    2. Open the IE on the client and enter the following command to check whether you are prompted to download the file. 
    HTTP: // YourWSUS: 8530 /selfupdate/wuident.cab 
    3. Please refer the following picture to check the connection between client and the WSUS server:

4. Remove the client from the WSUS console. And on the affected clients to open the CMD, run the following script. Please wait a moment and then check if it is feasible.
    net stop bits
    net stop wuauserv
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v AccountDomainSid /freg 
    delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v PingID /freg 
    delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientId /freg 
    delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientIDValidation /frd /s /q "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution"
    net start bits
    net start wuauservwuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow
    usoclient.exe startscan

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to your feedback. Hope you have a good weekend.

Regards,
    Rita

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 3, 2020 2:34 AM
  • Remove the computer from the WSUS MMC Console and run the client side script.

https://www.ajtek.ca/wsus/client-machines-not-reporting-to-wsus-properly/

• Marked as answer by Poly Admin Tuesday, July 7, 2020 2:17 PM
    Friday, July 3, 2020 9:34 PM
  • Thanks for the replies.  I am looking at your posts and will run the script and let you know how it goes.  I should post again later this morning. 
    Monday, July 6, 2020 1:48 PM
  • AJ - I ran the following commands from the script you discussed above.  See results below.  Notice that bits was "not running" at all.  That may have been my problem.  Not sure.  Also notice that a couple of registry entries were not found.   I will refresh the WSUS console in a few mins and see if the client is now reporting. 

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net stop bits
    The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service is not started.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3521.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net stop wuauserv
    The Windows Update service is stopping.
    The Windows Update service was stopped successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v AccountDomainSid /f
    ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v PingID /f
    ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientId /f
    The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientIDValidation /f
    The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>rd /s /q "%SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution"

C:\WINDOWS\system32>
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>net start bits
    The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service is starting.
    The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service was started successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net start wuauserv
    The Windows Update service is starting.
    The Windows Update service was started successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow

C:\WINDOWS\system32>PowerShell.exe (New-Object -ComObject Microsoft.Update.AutoUpdate).DetectNow()

C:\WINDOWS\system32>
    Monday, July 6, 2020 2:24 PM
  • AJ - I ran the following commands from the script you discussed above.  See results below.  Notice that bits was "not running" at all.  That may have been my problem.  Not sure.  Also notice that a couple of registry entries were not found.
    Read the page for the explanation :) the missing registries are expected :)

Monday, July 6, 2020 3:01 PM
  • Hi Poly Admin,

Thanks for your time.

Perhaps we might consider performing checking for updates on the client and then viewing the client report status in the WSUS console now. After operation above, feedback your result for me. 

Thanks for your cooperation.

Regards,
    Rita

Tuesday, July 7, 2020 2:45 AM
  • Removing the client from the WSUS server and running the client side scripts resolved the issue for me.  Now all client machines are reporting and updating. 

I marked answers above.  Thanks for the help.
    Tuesday, July 7, 2020 2:20 PM
  • Hi Poly Admin,

I am glad to hear that your issue was successfully resolved. If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,
    Rita

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 2:54 AM
  • Hi Poly Admin,

The following summary is provided for future follow-up reference:

Issue Symptom
    One client will not report correctly.

Possible Cause
    The client may have the same susclientID with other computers.

Troubleshooting Steps so far
    Use the scripts to remove the same susclientID.

Regards,
    Rita

"WSUS" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "WSUS" forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Tuesday, July 14, 2020 3:00 AM