none
Defrag protected data source RRS feed

• Question

• is it possible to defrag a system without a massive increase in the recovery volume for the following roles? (DPM 2010 RTM)

File Servers: shares, entire file system

Hyper-V level backup: Inside the guest and also VHD defrag with the guest shut down?

SQL: Defrag offline SQL database

Cheers

Friday, May 28, 2010 2:14 PM

Answers

• Running defrag is not a problem in DPM 2010. But this can cause high disk requirement for recovery point volume if you are using DPM 2007 SP1.

Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Zak Humphries Tuesday, June 1, 2010 8:21 AM
    Friday, May 28, 2010 2:36 PM
  • Running defrag inside the VM guest can cause recovery point volume to consume more disk space.
    Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, May 31, 2010 9:21 AM

All replies

• Running defrag is not a problem in DPM 2010. But this can cause high disk requirement for recovery point volume if you are using DPM 2007 SP1.

Friday, May 28, 2010 2:36 PM
  • Wonderful news :) Cheers
    Friday, May 28, 2010 7:48 PM
  • Before I mark this as the answer what about defragging the inside of a hyper-V guest when you are backing up the VHD? I think I know the answer to this one but just want to clarify that it will cause high recovery volume usage.

Friday, May 28, 2010 7:50 PM
  • Running defrag inside the VM guest can cause recovery point volume to consume more disk space.
    Monday, May 31, 2010 9:21 AM
  • Ive also noticed that defragging a system drive causing a massive increase in the BMR recovery points
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 8:21 AM