Show list of tabs in preview instead of thumbnails RRS feed

• Question

• When a window has multiple tabs in it, the hover shows the thumbnail preview for each tab.  If there are too many tabs, it shows a list instead.

I prefer to just see a list rather than thumbnail when there are multiple tabs.  It's faster that way.  Is there any way to set that?

I realize turning off aero will get rid of thumnail preview altogether, but I like thumbnail when there is only one tab, plus all the other aero goodness.
    Friday, December 25, 2009 4:50 PM

Answers

• When a window has multiple tabs in it, the hover shows the thumbnail preview for each tab.  If there are too many tabs, it shows a list instead.

I prefer to just see a list rather than thumbnail when there are multiple tabs.  It's faster that way.  Is there any way to set that?

I realize turning off aero will get rid of thumnail preview altogether, but I like thumbnail when there is only one tab, plus all the other aero goodness.

Hi Barth

You can change this setting using a registry edit.

Warning: Before making any changes to the registry make sure you backup any keys that you will be changing.

1. Go to Start and type  regedit  in the Search Box and press Enter. This will open the registry editor.

2. Navigate to the following Key. 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband.

3. With the Taskband Key selected, right click in the right side pane and select New/DWORD (32-bit) Value.

4. Name the new Value  NumThumbnails  (Case Sensitive). 

5. Double click the new NumThumbnails value and enter the number of thumbnails you would prefer to see before the List View is implemented. (For your request, you can enter the number 1) Select OK.

Exit the registry editor. You must refresh the UI to see the changes.

1. Click Start. Hold down CTRL+SHIFT and Right Click an empty area on the right side of the Start Menu. Select the Exit Explorer item.

2. Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to start the Task Manager. In the Task Manager select File/New Task (Run...). Type Explorer.exe in the Run box and click OK.

Check the new functionality. 

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Friday, December 25, 2009 9:58 PM

All replies

Hi Barth

You can change this setting using a registry edit.

Warning: Before making any changes to the registry make sure you backup any keys that you will be changing.

1. Go to Start and type  regedit  in the Search Box and press Enter. This will open the registry editor.

2. Navigate to the following Key. 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband.

3. With the Taskband Key selected, right click in the right side pane and select New/DWORD (32-bit) Value.

4. Name the new Value  NumThumbnails  (Case Sensitive). 

5. Double click the new NumThumbnails value and enter the number of thumbnails you would prefer to see before the List View is implemented. (For your request, you can enter the number 1) Select OK.

Exit the registry editor. You must refresh the UI to see the changes.

1. Click Start. Hold down CTRL+SHIFT and Right Click an empty area on the right side of the Start Menu. Select the Exit Explorer item.

2. Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to start the Task Manager. In the Task Manager select File/New Task (Run...). Type Explorer.exe in the Run box and click OK.

Check the new functionality. 

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Friday, December 25, 2009 9:58 PM
  • thank you. this does exactly what I wanted.
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 11:12 PM
  • Hi Barth

Glad this helped. Enjoy.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Sunday, December 27, 2009 5:27 AM
  • Dear Ronnie Vernon,

I cannot express to you in words how much I appreciate this and I am so very grateful for the solution of one of my biggest issues with the Windows 7 Aero Peek.  I like this feature to the extent outlined in this post, but because I have a touchpad mouse, it is hard for me to slide horizontally over to the thumbnail to open. 

Thank you so very much!

Juan Antonio Dominion

Juan-Antonio Microsoft Office Enthusiast Microsoft Outlook Homie
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 7:50 PM
  • Hi Juan

Your very welcome.

Enjoy.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Thursday, April 1, 2010 10:58 PM