Problem with MS Word paragraph and character styles: format getting messed up RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am having a strange problem with my custom MS Word styles.

I have MS Word 2007 Home & Student version (fully updated, till support ran out).

The short version: I create my own MS Word styles, both paragraph and character. Sometimes, weird problems occur, and I do not get back the original format when I reject the character style.

The loner version is a s follows:

For my manuscripts, I create my own MS Word styles.

For the body text, I create a base style.

Then based on the base style, I create a style for the first paragraph and another for the other paragraphs.

I create the base style (My_00_Body_base) based on “no style” to make it independent of the Normal template (so the style will be unaffected by the PC it is on). For the base style I use the style type “Paragraph” and I set “Automatically update” to off (unticked).

In the base style, I set the font face, font size, font color, justification, spacing above and below the paragraph, and line spacing. I leave the first line indent zero.

In this case I had set Times New Roman, 12 pt, black, left justified, no spacing above or below, and lone spacing single.

Then, I create, the style for the first paragraph (My_03a_Body_First_para) and another style for the other paragraphs (My_03b_Body_Other_paras).

Both styles are paragraph styles based on the base style (My_00_Body_base).

For the style for the first paragraph (My_03a_Body_First_para), I usually set the “First line indent” to 0”.

For the style for the other paragraphs (My_03b_Body_Other_paras), I usually set the “First line indent” to 0.5”.

I use these styles (My_03a_Body_First_para and My_03b_Body_Other_paras) to format the body text in my manuscript.

Then I create some character styles, for example, for thoughts My_03f_Body_Thoughts, which just applies italics.

For the character style, I use style based on “underlying properties.”

(I don’t know the difference between “underlying properties” or “default Paragraph font.”)

So, I have some body text on which I have already applied My_03b_Body_Other_paras.

Now, on a part of that text, I apply my character style My_03f_Body_Thoughts.

Normally, when I apply the style My_03f_Body_Thoughts, the tracking pane shows “My_03f_Body_Thoughts.”

If I reject the change, I get back the original text correctly formatted with My_03b_Body_Other_paras.

However, occasionally, I see that the tracking pane has changed the name of the applied style to “My_03f_Body_Thoughts, Font: 12 pt, Complex Script Font: 11 pt.”

Now, in this case when I reject the change, I DO NOT get back the original text correctly formatted with My_03b_Body_Other_paras.

When I rest my pointer on the text, the style pane still indicates My_03b_Body_Other_paras.

However, the text has changed to a smaller size 8 pt, instead of 12 pt.

I am at a loss as to why this happens.

Can someone please help me understand what is going on?

Thank you.

Sunday, July 19, 2020 9:41 PM

Answers

• Indeed, I had posted my problem on more than one forum as the matter was very urgent. 

Another reason was I felt this was an unusual problem, and I felt I might not be able to receive a solution by posting on just one forum. 

When Charles brought it to my notice that I had violated posting ethics, I immediately apologized in the forum www_msofficeforums_com, and I notified all the other forums of the multiple posting, and where allowed, I posted the links to my posts. 

I have erred, and do not intend to do so again. 

It seems that my problem has been adequately addressed in www_msofficeforums_com. 

I would post the link is I were allowed so that others with similar problems could benefit. 

Thank you, all.

• Marked as answer by RaviBanthia Thursday, July 23, 2020 11:28 AM
    • Edited by RaviBanthia Thursday, July 23, 2020 12:24 PM
    Thursday, July 23, 2020 11:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Office 2007 reached its end of support on October 10, 2017, which means Microsoft no longer provides Technical support for issues. Thanks for your understanding.

I would like to suggest you go to Go to C:\Users\user name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates, rename the Normal template (Normal.dotm) to create a new template to check this issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This "Word IT Pro Discussions” Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Regards,

Emily

"Office" forums will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A !
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Office" forums' new home on Microsoft Q&A !
    Monday, July 20, 2020 10:22 AM
  •  "If I reject the change". Does this mean you used Undo? Or you selected a different style? Or something else? Without knowing what commands you're using, we can't reproduce the effect.

Text can have up to 4 styles applied at the same time (paragraph, character, table and list styles). But Word will only display one of those.

Monday, July 20, 2020 3:14 PM
  • By reject the change, I mean the “reject” the tracked change in the balloon that shows the formatting change done by application of the character style.

I have removed Hindi and English (Indian) from the “Enabled editing languages.”

I have also reset fonts to defaults on my Win 10 PC.

The “complex” part in the character style name in the balloon is gone.

I do, however, find instead of “My_03f_Body_Thoughts,” I have “My_03f_Body_Thoughts, Font: 12 pt, Font color: Text 1.”

And if I reject the application of the character font, the color on the text changes to green. Further, sometimes, the font size becomes 8 pt (instead of 12).

Please note that as I desperately need a solution quickly, I have posted this problem on other forums too.

I was not allowed to post the links here.

I shall provide an update if I find a solution.

Monday, July 20, 2020 7:52 PM
  • Cross-posted at Word Forum and Problem with MS Word paragraph and character styles: format - Microsoft Community
    For cross-posting etiquette, please read: A Message to Forum Cross-Posters Excelguru Help Site - A message to forum cross posters

There are 18 posts in the Word Forum.

I would suggest anyone attempting to help this gentleman wait until he complies with posting etiquette so that we do not all waste time. (He was notified of that etiquette in the other forums and chose to ignore it here.) There are posts by Rohn and Stefan Blom in the Microsoft Answers forum.

Some analysis in the Word Forum goes into the XML coding of the tracked changes.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 3:57 AM
  • Indeed, I had posted my problem on more than one forum as the matter was very urgent. 

Another reason was I felt this was an unusual problem, and I felt I might not be able to receive a solution by posting on just one forum. 

When Charles brought it to my notice that I had violated posting ethics, I immediately apologized in the forum www_msofficeforums_com, and I notified all the other forums of the multiple posting, and where allowed, I posted the links to my posts. 

I have erred, and do not intend to do so again. 

It seems that my problem has been adequately addressed in www_msofficeforums_com. 

I would post the link is I were allowed so that others with similar problems could benefit. 

Thank you, all.

• Marked as answer by RaviBanthia Thursday, July 23, 2020 11:28 AM
    • Edited by RaviBanthia Thursday, July 23, 2020 12:24 PM
    Thursday, July 23, 2020 11:28 AM
  • Cross-posted at Word Forum and Problem with MS Word paragraph and character styles: format - Microsoft Community
    For cross-posting etiquette, please read: A Message to Forum Cross-Posters Excelguru Help Site - A message to forum cross posters

There are 18 posts in the Word Forum.

I would suggest anyone attempting to help this gentleman wait until he complies with posting etiquette so that we do not all waste time. (He was notified of that etiquette in the other forums and chose to ignore it here.) There are posts by Rohn and Stefan Blom in the Microsoft Answers forum.

Some analysis in the Word Forum goes into the XML coding of the tracked changes.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

I thought I had adequately addressed this issue in my post dated Monday, July 20, 2020.

I had clearly stated that I had posted the same problem on multiple sites, and I had tried to post the links to those posts but was not allowed.

How to Post and When to Cross-Post Admittedly, some posts do go without answers, and this is where the cross post can be beneficial. Just do it in the right way! My suggestion, for what it's worth, is to follow this series of events: Find one forum and stick with it, preferably a very busy one so you reach a bigger audience. If you don't get a satisfactory answer in a reasonable amount of time (days, not hours), then:

• Post in another applicable forum with your issue (1 or 2 other forums, not 20!).
    • Include a link to your original post (see below).
    • Make it very obvious that you have not got an answer to your question and are looking for more experts.
    • Ask people to post their replies in the original forum.
    • When it is solved, go back and mark it as such in all forums so that we're not chasing solved issues.

<Post in another applicable forum with your issue (1 or 2 other forums, not 20!).>

I had already posted in 3 other forums, certainly not 20.

<Include a link to your original post (see below).>

I did try to include the links but was disallowed.

<Make it very obvious that you have not got an answer to your question and are looking for more experts.>

I was receiving responses on one forum. I should have informed this forum about it.

I thought it was sufficient for the time to indicate I had posted on other forums.

I intended to come back and post the solution/resolution or non-resolution later (after interaction at the other forum).

<Ask people to post their replies in the original forum.>

How could I? I was not allowed to give the link.

<When it is solved, go back and mark it as such in all forums so that we're not chasing solved issues.>

I have marked the thread as being resolved.

• Edited by RaviBanthia Thursday, July 23, 2020 12:14 PM
    Thursday, July 23, 2020 11:55 AM