Creating Default Profile under Windows Vista RRS feed

• Question

• Hey everyone! I am new here, so please go easy on me <laughs>. Alright, I have gotten as far as going through the following steps for creating the default profile:

* Right click Computer and select Properties

* Select Advanced System Properties (elevating as required)

* In the system properties dialog click the Settings button under User Profiles

* Select the account you want to use as a template

* Click Copy To

* Change the "permitted to use" option to Everyone

* Use the Browse button to select the location of the default profile (C:\Users\Default)

* Click Ok

* Click Yes to overwrite the existing default profile

**The above was taken from a user on here by the name AndyCadley.

I've done all that, then I'm at the part where I have to edit the ntuser.dat registry hive. How do I exactly go through with that? I load up regedit, highlight HKEY LOCAL USERS and load Hive. Then what? If someone could explain where to go from here, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!! =D

Thursday, May 24, 2007 3:53 PM

All replies

• Well, the easy way is just to edit the Current User hive, before you copy the profile to the default, that saves you having to worry about loading hives etc.

If you do want to edit another hive (be it the default or another users) the general steps are:

• Enable "Show hidden files and folders" in Folder Options
    • Disable "Hide Protected Operating System files" in Folder Options
    • Launch Regedit
    • Select HKEY_USERS and load hive
    • Navigate to the profile directly of the user you want to load (e.g. C:\users\default for the default user)
    • Open the ntuser.dat file
    • Provide a name for the hive, this will be used as the root key name for that hive under HKU
    • Edit as appropriate
    • Unload the hive before attempting to log in as the user
    Saturday, May 26, 2007 9:34 AM
  • Hey Andy!

Thank you for the prompt response!! So far so good - got further than I did previouslly. However, I am a little hazy as to which values do I edit once I created the new hive? I just called it ntuser, but what values would I want to look for and change? Thank you so much!

-Tom

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 2:28 PM
  • Not sure I follow. You shouldn't have to make any registry changes, unless there are specific settings you wish to change.
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 3:50 PM
  •  Hello Andy,

I am trying to create a default profile (with custom setting) for all users when they log onto windows vista, but when I choose profile to be copy as a template, the copy button is grey out.  I am currently logon as local Administrator

Your help is appricated.

Thanks
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:46 PM
  • Hello Nhan,
    The only supported way to replace the default use is with an unattended setting ( copyprofile=)
    You should not use the control panel - system applet to overwrite the default user profile.
    This will cause any number of issues with profiles generated from that default user profile.
    See the following article:
    959753 How to customize the default local user profile when you prepare an image of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;959753

Thanks, Darrell Gorter[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, May 1, 2009 1:04 AM