none
MDT 2012 - Display Mac Address before Launching Welcome Screen RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, at my current company we have to whitelist our devices via their Mac Address and I'm trying to figure out a way to display the Mac Address before continuing with the imaging process.  I know that MDT gathers the Mac Address (macaddress01, etc) but how can I display that mac address to the user before imaging?

Any help in the right direction will help me.  Thanks!

Thursday, June 6, 2013 8:07 PM

Answers

• You know, the easiest way I can think to do this would be to incorporate something like BGInfo into your boot image, so the MAC Address is always displayed on the Windows PE desktop. (Assuming you are in WinPE and not performing a refresh in the running OS.)

See http://scriptimus.wordpress.com/2011/07/04/mdt-2010-bginfo-in-winpe/ for an example on how to do this.

-Nick O.

Thursday, June 6, 2013 8:14 PM
  • BGInfo is good but to just have a simple popup with the MAC you could just write a simple Powershell Script that pops up the info as the first step:

$wmi =""
    $messagetest = ""
    $wmi = gwmi -Class Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration -filter "IPENABLED=TRUE"|select servicename,ipaddress,macaddress

$interfaces = $wmi.ipaddress | measure

for ($i = 0; $i -lt $interfaces.count; $i++)
    {
    $messagetest = $messagetest + "Interface : " + $wmi.servicename[$i] + "`r`n" + "IP Address : " + $wmi.ipaddress[$i] + "`r`n" + "MAC Address : " + $wmi.macaddress[$i] + "`r`n"
    }
    [System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox]::Show("$messagetest","IP Information")

EDIT: Actually,  just realised,  you want to do it before the TS I'm guessing.  If so then this wont really help you...  though there are ways to run .vbs scripts through customsettings.ini as user exit scripts. Just an alternative to BGInfo!

• Edited by mhouston100 Friday, June 7, 2013 12:06 AM update
    • Marked as answer by Joshua Rickard Friday, June 21, 2013 8:14 PM
    Friday, June 7, 2013 12:01 AM

All replies

• You know, the easiest way I can think to do this would be to incorporate something like BGInfo into your boot image, so the MAC Address is always displayed on the Windows PE desktop. (Assuming you are in WinPE and not performing a refresh in the running OS.)

See http://scriptimus.wordpress.com/2011/07/04/mdt-2010-bginfo-in-winpe/ for an example on how to do this.

-Nick O.

Thursday, June 6, 2013 8:14 PM
  • Thank you!  I've been on Andrews blog for awhile and I've never seen this post. I guess my google-fu failed me.....  THanks!
    Thursday, June 6, 2013 8:35 PM
  • BGInfo is good but to just have a simple popup with the MAC you could just write a simple Powershell Script that pops up the info as the first step:

$wmi =""
    $messagetest = ""
    $wmi = gwmi -Class Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration -filter "IPENABLED=TRUE"|select servicename,ipaddress,macaddress

$interfaces = $wmi.ipaddress | measure

for ($i = 0; $i -lt $interfaces.count; $i++)
    {
    $messagetest = $messagetest + "Interface : " + $wmi.servicename[$i] + "`r`n" + "IP Address : " + $wmi.ipaddress[$i] + "`r`n" + "MAC Address : " + $wmi.macaddress[$i] + "`r`n"
    }
    [System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox]::Show("$messagetest","IP Information")

EDIT: Actually,  just realised,  you want to do it before the TS I'm guessing.  If so then this wont really help you...  though there are ways to run .vbs scripts through customsettings.ini as user exit scripts. Just an alternative to BGInfo!

• Edited by mhouston100 Friday, June 7, 2013 12:06 AM update
    • Marked as answer by Joshua Rickard Friday, June 21, 2013 8:14 PM
    Friday, June 7, 2013 12:01 AM