none
Tape Library is offline but a new drive has appeared RRS feed

• Question

• We are running DPM 2010 with an Overland tabe library with 1 drive in it. Today when we checked in to DPM it showed the whole library as being offline and we can not connect to either the drive or slots. However, a new drive apeared as stand alone, but without any slots. This drive is the one inside the library but there havent been any recent changes that should make it appear seperate.

We tried rebooting the DPM server. We turned of the library and rescanned it in DPM, that made the stand alone drive disapear but when we turned it back on the actaul Overland library still said it was offline and when we rescanned that it re-added the stand alone drive. The only alert besides tape backups failing just says the number of drives detected is incorrect and needs to be refreshed.

Let me know if there is any more infromation needed, and thanks in advance for any help.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 11:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please make sure device manager sees the tape library under the Media Changer Devices.  Fix the driver issue if it is not present or shows problems.

Stop the dpmla service then run DPMDriveMapping.exe from C:\program files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Bin folder.

Net stop dpmla
    cd C:\program files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Bin
    DPMDriveMapping.exe

Open the DPM console and do a rescan and see if things change.

Then see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795782.aspx  for more details.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Rawrb Monday, May 2, 2011 7:46 PM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:58 PM

All replies

• Hi

Any changes made in your enviroment, updated drivers or firmware for the tape library or drive? Has the library worked before with DPM or not?

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Thursday, April 7, 2011 2:06 PM
  • No there have not been any changes, not even a windows update, one day it was working and the next day it wasn't. The library has been online working for a number of months since we updated to 2010.

I tried installing windows updates to see if that would fix it, I noticed there was a DPM update rollup #1 that i could install. Windows was able to install all the other updates but failed to install this one. This may be unrelated but I thought it was interesting. However, as far as I can tell backups to our hard drives work fine, only tape backups are failing.

Friday, April 8, 2011 9:20 PM
  • Hi

If you haven't installed the hotfix KB2223201 the installation for DPM update KB2465832 will fail.

Is your library still missing?

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Monday, April 11, 2011 10:02 AM
  • I was unable to install hotfix KB2223201, it said it was not compatible even though I made sure to check that it met all the system requirements. However, I installed "QFE Rollup Package 2 for System Center Data Protection Manager 2010" and that allowed me to install the update that was previously failing.

Still this did not fix the problem, the library is not missing it just says it is offline and the tape drive inside the library is being identified as a stand alone drive.

Monday, April 11, 2011 10:20 PM
  • Hi,

Please make sure device manager sees the tape library under the Media Changer Devices.  Fix the driver issue if it is not present or shows problems.

Stop the dpmla service then run DPMDriveMapping.exe from C:\program files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Bin folder.

Net stop dpmla
    cd C:\program files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Bin
    DPMDriveMapping.exe

Open the DPM console and do a rescan and see if things change.

Then see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795782.aspx  for more details.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Rawrb Monday, May 2, 2011 7:46 PM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:58 PM
  • Sorry for the delayed reply, I tried running the drive map and it had me remove all the tape but even after I did it still said there were tapes in the library so I started running some test directly on the tape drive and it looks like I found some problems with it, so now I am working with that company to get this problem fixed. Hopefully once this problem is resolved I will be able to remap the drive and fix the problem in DPM, it makes sense that a mapping problem in the tape drive might cause it to go offline in DPM.
    Friday, April 15, 2011 10:09 PM
  • After a very lengthy hardware repair process it looks like everything is back up and running. Thank you for all the help I would not have known about the hardware problems had you not suggested doing a drive map. 
    Monday, May 2, 2011 7:46 PM
  • I had a similar issue today in DPM 2010.  I tried Mike's fix, but it didn't work.  I got error

Performing Device Inventory ...

No Tape Library Found.Drive Mapping Failed.

Error Code is: 0x80004004, Error Message is: Operation aborted

Checking in Device Manager I could see that the library had vanished from the list.  I did a forced check for new hardware and it redetected the library with an exclamation mark.   I checked the status and it was "Code 10".  I then disabled and re-enabled the device and the exclamation has gone away.  I am now backing up to the drive and so far, so good...

Checking the Event Logs I can see

• 04/07/2011 18:27:04 Event ID 3305 The number of free tapes in the Tape Library Tandberg Data StorageLoader/StorageLibrary is less than or equals the threshold value of 1. You must add tape to the library and mark it as free in order to prevent future backups from failing. (ID: 3305)
    • 04/07/2011 18:27:21 Event ID 3301 Tape Library Tandberg Data StorageLoader/StorageLibrary could not be contacted. All jobs for Tape Library Tandberg Data StorageLoader/StorageLibrary will fail if the connection is not established. (ID: 3301)

Is there a link here?   For reference , there were 8 tapes loaded, three of which had never been used. The others all had plenty of free space (and are being backed up to right now as I type this)

DPM 2010 Environment :

• Dell R510 with Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
    • DPM 2010 3.0.7696.0
    • SQL Server 2008 R2 10.50.2425
    • Tandeberg StorageLoader LTO4 SAS (using drivers from Tandeberg website)
    • Dell SAS 5/E 

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 11:12 AM
  • Just Uninstall the device from DEvice Manager and Reinstall the driver it will solve the issue.

Same was occurred in MS-DPM2012 R2

and Solved..

• Proposed as answer by Donnie Freyer Tuesday, July 25, 2017 12:24 PM
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 3:38 PM
  • I know this is an oldy, but the ideas here helped me resolve my issue, so for future reference - I had this same problem and after 45 minutes of mucking around rebooting the tape drive and rescanning, I found that in Device Manager there was no Medium Changer devices listed, so I right clicked at the top level and did a scan for hardware changes.

This picked the drive back up, then a rescan of the library in DPM got everything talking again.

Cheers,

Daniel.

Monday, August 15, 2016 1:28 AM