none
Cannot open office documents stored in SharePoint using IE RRS feed

• Question

• I have not found through extensive searching any situations like mine.  This problem started some months ago and since then I have tried to find a solution but nothing at all changes the situation. I am using Windows 10 and SharePoint to access my Office 2013 documents.   It doesn't matter if I am accessing SharePoint 2010 or SharePoint 2013.  It doesn't matter which user I login with.  The result is always the same.   When I try to open a Word or Excel file (pdf is fine) using IE (my version is 11) then it tries to open the file but then just opens the application as if I am starting a new file.  There is no error message.  It simply tries to open the file and fails.  so it defaults to the Application to let me start creating a new document/file.

I was using Office 2013 64 bit but recently uninstalled that and installed 32 bit in the hope this might be the problem but it isn't.  I have also installed all recent updates for Office.  the result is always the same.  The file will not open when accessed via IE on SharePoint.  I must use FireFox or chrome.

I have sorted the compatibility and trusted sites.  I have searched the entire internet for 2 months now and tried everything.  The problem is related to my specific laptop as I have no problem on another computer.  My laptop and Internet Explorer 11 are blocking files on SharePoint.  No error message.  If anyone figures this out they are a genius because right now I have given up and am just using Firefox.

Kerri Groves

Saturday, October 10, 2015 7:58 PM

All replies

• I was having very similar problems. A fix that worked for me was modifying the user authentication on the trusted site zone (the SharePoint site was in the trusted site list). Change the user Authentication to Automatic logon with current user name and password.
    Thursday, October 29, 2015 8:36 PM