Two quick questions on NAP RRS feed

• Question

• My linksys wrt45G supports RADIUS as method of autheticating Wireless users before they connect. To what extent can i use this capability for NAP ? can with some additional switch onto which i connect this device having complete NAP capability allow me to put some users in quarantine VLANs and some not ?

Secondly i believe current RADIUS only protocol allows to not to allow users or either let me in, can in proper NAP implementation i can put non domain users in some quarantine VLAN? i have done one implementation in which i could split the users in VLANs based on firewall if it's ON or not but could not find this check in policy definition.
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 11:56 PM

Answers

•  

Hello,

Thank you for your post here.

Do you want to implement 802.1X NAP Enforcement to put non-compliance/non-domain devices/computers into the quarantine VLAN?

If yes, you may refer to the following chart to verify whether wrt45G meets the requirement to do 802.1X NAP Enforcement:

802.1X enforcement points

Enforcement points are network access devices that can be 802.1X-compliant switches, routers, or access points. Configuration of the 802.1X enforcement point will vary depending on the vendor. See the following table for functionality that is either required or recommended to support NAP with 802.1X enforcement.

Functionality

Requirement

802.1X authentication

Required

EAP authentication pass through to RADIUS

Required

Traffic segmentation (for example, VLAN or ACL)

Required

Assignment of port characteristics based on RADIUS attributes

Required

Fallback behavior for clients that do not support 802.1X authentication

Recommended

Fallback behavior for clients that fail authentication

Recommended

Similar post for your reference:

802.1X NAP Enforcement with Cisco Nexus 1000V Virtual Switch possible?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverNAP/thread/9113e35f-1c0e-4029-8c5a-ae4b6ef4deca

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let us know.

• Marked as answer by Miles Li Wednesday, January 13, 2010 8:13 AM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 9:21 AM