Can't update the BIOS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
      I'm having a INTEL DG31PR mother board. I'm trying to update the BIOS. This is the latest version available there :

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2839&DwnldID=18379&lang=eng

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit edition. I tried updating using the Express BIOS update. But when I running it's says "internal error - can't update". It's showing the window to install the BIOS and when I click next it's popping this message.

I updated the version 66 when I had the XP on my machine. It just got updated fine. So just to make sure I tried running that older update which I successfully updated lately. It also showing the same message.

I have disabled the User Account Control too. So I don't think it's related with the permissions. Any ideas?
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 8:11 AM

Answers

• Looking at the PDF, the easiest way to update the BIOS bypassing any flash update OS limitations would be the following method:

Instructions for F7 BIOS Flash Update

The F7 BIOS Flash Update is available on Intel® Desktop Boards beginning in 2009. To see if your board supports this feature, in BIOS Setup, check the Advanced > Boot Configuration menu for the setting Display F7 to Update BIOS.

1. Download and save the Recovery BIOS (.BIO) file to a temporary directory.

2. Copy the .BIO to a USB thumb drive.

3. Plug the thumb drive into a USB port of the target computer.

4. Shut down the target computer.

5. Enable the F7 prompt display:

a. Power the computer on.

b. Enter the BIOS Setup by pressing F2 during boot.

c. Go to the Advanced > Boot Configuration menu.

d. Enable Display F7 to Update BIOS

e. Press F10 to save and exit.

6. During boot, when the F7 prompt is displayed, press F7 to enter the BIOS Flash Update tool.

7. Select the USB thumb drive and press Enter.

8. Select the .BIO file and press Enter

9. Confirm you want to update the BIOS by pressing Enter.

10. Wait 2-5 minutes for the update to complete.

11. Remove the thumb drive.

12. Restart the computer.

If your system doesn't support this method, try the iFlash method as mentioned in the Intel PDF. You can create a bootable USB drive using the following guide:

http://kmwoley.com/blog/?p=345
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:12 AM
  • Hi Kathees,

Did the suggestion Ryan provided fix the issue?

If the issue persists, I would like to suggest you contact Intel Support for further assistance. They should have more information about their own products.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 6:32 AM

All replies

• Wednesday, December 9, 2009 4:04 AM
  • BIOS updates are usually version limited, i.e., made for a specific version of Windows such as Vista. I only have Asus and HP machines and run into this all the time. My simple workaround is to extract the executable with 7-zip (http://www.7-zip.org/download.html) and run the BIOS update utility manually. You can then select the BIOS update image from the utility and flash the ROM without any additional hassles.
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 5:28 AM
  • Hi Kathees,

I would like to suggest you download and run PRG3110H.86A.0069.EB.EXE in Safe Mode.

If it does not work, you may also try the other two methods mentioned on the website you provided.

What’s the result?

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 2:35 AM
  • Hi,
      I already looked in the other two ways. Since I don't have a floppy drive I couldn't use the first method. For the iFlash update it says in the manual to run a EXE. But that particular download have no such things. 

What do you mean by extracting the EXE? I did extract the exe and there was a file with .BIOS extension. You means I can simply put it in the flash drive and update by restarting? I don't think so. When I was trying to reboot from USB it said no bootable partition exists. No luck at anyway....
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 5:59 AM
  • Hi Arthur_Li,
       Thanks for the reply but I already tried that. Popping the same error message.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:00 AM
  • Looking at the PDF, the easiest way to update the BIOS bypassing any flash update OS limitations would be the following method:

Instructions for F7 BIOS Flash Update

The F7 BIOS Flash Update is available on Intel® Desktop Boards beginning in 2009. To see if your board supports this feature, in BIOS Setup, check the Advanced > Boot Configuration menu for the setting Display F7 to Update BIOS.

1. Download and save the Recovery BIOS (.BIO) file to a temporary directory.

2. Copy the .BIO to a USB thumb drive.

3. Plug the thumb drive into a USB port of the target computer.

4. Shut down the target computer.

5. Enable the F7 prompt display:

a. Power the computer on.

b. Enter the BIOS Setup by pressing F2 during boot.

c. Go to the Advanced > Boot Configuration menu.

d. Enable Display F7 to Update BIOS

e. Press F10 to save and exit.

6. During boot, when the F7 prompt is displayed, press F7 to enter the BIOS Flash Update tool.

7. Select the USB thumb drive and press Enter.

8. Select the .BIO file and press Enter

9. Confirm you want to update the BIOS by pressing Enter.

10. Wait 2-5 minutes for the update to complete.

11. Remove the thumb drive.

12. Restart the computer.

If your system doesn't support this method, try the iFlash method as mentioned in the Intel PDF. You can create a bootable USB drive using the following guide:

http://kmwoley.com/blog/?p=345
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:12 AM
  • Hi Kathees,

Did the suggestion Ryan provided fix the issue?

If the issue persists, I would like to suggest you contact Intel Support for further assistance. They should have more information about their own products.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 6:32 AM
  •                          INTEL DG31PR mother board,Windows 7 64 bit edition.

Try this,

Install Intel(R) Integrator Toolkit
                             Copy all files in that folder to a new folder in drive C
                             Copy Iflash2.exe and PR0070.BIO to this folder too
                             Run msdos bootdisc (Nero9 making Bootcd)and boot to a:\ prompt
                             From C:\ prompt cd to the folder and Run inst_BIO.bat to clear bios
                             The Iflash2 will work
                             After that run Iflash2 /PF PR0070.BIO
                             The system auto reboot and can't start
                             Reset and everything work fine
                             That's O.K.for me.
                             Do as your own risk. 

Sunday, February 14, 2010 2:50 AM
  • Please.... Install Intel(R) Integrator Toolkit first
                    And then run the program to update the PR0070.BIO from file or internet.

I'd tried everythings that post and not succeed but not this one.
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 3:10 AM