External List using BDC issue RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to connect the SQL table using External Content Type using BDC from SharePoint Designer . I can connect from a AD user perfectly.

But is there any way to connect with SQL authentication similar to normal ADO username and pwd without any AD/system account user. I'm having a SQL user created in the database and I have to connect from that account. Its not a AD account.

TIA

Monday, October 20, 2014 8:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you could not access the Center Administration, I don’t think you can create an external content type using database table users credentials.

As there are only four type authentication mode while we create the external content type: User’s Identity, BDC Identity, Impersonated Windows Identity and Impersonated Custom Identity.

If you could not access the Central Administration, we could not configure the Secure Store Service to supply the custom credentials.

Thanks & Regards,

Jason

Jason Guo
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your post, my understanding is that you want to create a external content type using database table users credentials.

Per this MSDN article said, you can use the impersonated custom identity credentials with configured form based authentications with external database table users to achieve this scenario.

Connection with impersonated custom identity. The BDC sends the identity of the caller to the Secure Store Service (SSS). The SSS supplies a set of custom credentials—such as a Forms authentication username and password—that are mapped to the identity of the caller. The BDC uses the mapped custom credentials to authenticate with the data source.

More information:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sharepoint__cloud/archive/2012/12/17/form-based-authentication-using-sql-provider-in-sharepoint-2013.aspx

Thanks & Regards,

Jason

Jason Guo

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 9:30 AM
  • Thanks Jason.  I don't have access to Central Administration or Server to configure SSS. I'm having a site collection with admin access and I need to fetch data from Database.  Any other option?
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 5:13 PM
  • Hi,

If you could not access the Center Administration, I don’t think you can create an external content type using database table users credentials.

As there are only four type authentication mode while we create the external content type: User’s Identity, BDC Identity, Impersonated Windows Identity and Impersonated Custom Identity.

If you could not access the Central Administration, we could not configure the Secure Store Service to supply the custom credentials.

Thanks & Regards,

Jason

Jason Guo

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:42 AM
  • Hi Jason,

my SP admin is able to create a Secure Store Id but while connecting from the Designer, it gives me BDC authentication Error.

And He is not able to add the costume SQL user name as the input id is asking for AD authentication. How to set up now with sql authentication. Thanks for all your help.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 12:18 AM