locked
Saving documents with Microsoft Word RRS feed

  • Question

  • I am trying to save documents in Microsoft Word and the folders are not automatically showing up. I have to click on "browse folders" in order for them to show up every time I save anything. It was never like this before. Not sure what was changed on it, but how do I change it back to the regular settings? I have already went into everything on the Control Panel and restored default settings, and none of that seamed to help. Please help me......
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 6:16 AM

All replies

  • On 2011-09-24 08:16, jen carter wrote:
    I am trying to save documents in Microsoft Word and the folders are not automatically showing up. I have to click on "browse folders" in order for them to show up every time I save anything. It was never like this before. Not sure what was changed on it, but how do I change it back to the regular settings? I have already went into everything on the Control Panel and restored default settings, and none of that seamed to help. Please help me......
        
       
      
    Look in the File Locations dialog box (Word Options | Advanced | File Locations). Verify that the User templates folder is set to the location where you usually save files.

    Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 9:26 AM
  • I did that, and it is still not automatically showing all of the files. I thought, for sure, that would fix it.
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 4:21 PM
  • On 2011-09-24 18:21, jen carter wrote:
    I did that, and it is still not automatically showing all of the files. I thought, for sure, that would fix it.
     
     
     
    But are you saying that you now see the correct path (folder)? What file type is chosen, by default, in the Save As dialog box?
     

    Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 5:16 PM
  • The "documents" file is the one that is default and I clicked off of it and then re-clicked it to see if it would do anything. I mean it is saving to the right folder it's just not letting me save to another folder unless, when I "Save as", I click "Browse Folders" at the bottom of the box. If you click "save as" normally it opens all of the folders that you have available to save in and at the bottom of the box on the left side it says "hide documents", if you click that it will show you what I am getting when trying to "save as".

     

     

     

    Saturday, September 24, 2011 6:00 PM
  • On 2011-09-24 20:00, jen carter wrote:

    The "documents" file is the one that is default and I clicked off of it and then re-clicked it to see if it would do anything. I mean it is saving to the right folder it's just not letting me save to another folder unless, when I "Save as", I click "Browse Folders" at the bottom of the box. If you click "save as" normally it opens all of the folders that you have available to save in and at the bottom of the box on the left side it says "hide documents", if you click that it will show you what I am getting when trying to "save as".


           
         
    Are you using Windows 7 and Word 2007 or 2010? In that case, in the Save As dialog box, there should be an Organize button at the top of the dialog. Click it, then click Layout, and click Navigation pane. That should display what is missing from the dialog.

    Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 6:24 PM
  • I am using Windows 7. There is not an Organize button until I click "browse folders".
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 6:38 PM
  • On 2011-09-24 20:38, jen carter wrote:
    I am using Windows 7. There is not an Organize button until I click "browse folders".
       
       
       
    Strange. I see Organize plus a few more options on the toolbar in all Windows Explorer windows as well as in the dialog boxes. Could you make a screenshot and upload it to one of those file sharing sites, and then link to it in a message?
     

    Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

    Saturday, September 24, 2011 7:19 PM
  • I don't know how to do that. I tried to attach it but the formatting is wrong, and I don't have the correct format available on my pc.

     

    Saturday, September 24, 2011 7:38 PM
  • I don't know how to do that. I tried to attach it but the formatting is wrong, and I don't have the correct format available on my pc.

            
    OK, let’s try a different approach. If you look in an ordinary Windows Explorer window, what do you see there?

    Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 11:26 PM
  • It is normal view. It shows the "Organize" button and other buttons on the toolbar at the top
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 12:56 AM
  • On 2011-09-25 02:56, jen carter wrote:

    It is normal view. It shows the "Organize" button and other buttons on the toolbar at the top


     

     

    But when you click Browse Folders, then the toolbar appears? It's just that this option isn't sticky? In that case, I see the problem, but I'm afraid I don't have a solution. :-(  At a guess, this could be an option in Windows Explorer rather than in Word, but I'm not sure.


    Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 11:47 AM