Sorry, we couldn't find your file. Was it moved, renamed or deleted? RRS feed

• Question

• I looked through other threads with this problem, but haven't found a solution.  My file was saved on my hard drive.  It was saved, but may still have been opened when my battery on my computer died over night.  Now I can't get to my file.  I am sure the file was not moved, renamed, or deleted.  Thanks in advance for any help you might have.   

I can see it in recent files and search for it and find it, but can't open it and it isn't visible in the place I am positive it was saved.

• Edited by JennaCee Monday, October 17, 2016 11:08 PM
    Monday, October 17, 2016 11:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>I can see it in recent files and search for it and find it<< How did you open it? Double click or via recent list?

As you said you can search and find it, but >>isn't visible in the place I am positive it was saved.<< it seemed that you're find the temp file. Could you copy and paste the file to Desktop?

I suggest you try to copy the file to another computer and confirm if you can open it.

Then, you can try to repair Office application in your environment:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Repair-an-Office-application-7821d4b6-7c1d-4205-aa0e-a6b40c5bb88b?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Any updates please let me know and I'm glad to help you.

Regards,
    Emi Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 8:27 AM
  • Make sure that file property isn't set to 'hidden' at the location where you saved the file. Disable hidden settings from folder option and check again. May be you can find it.
    Thursday, October 20, 2016 8:25 AM
  • If you have Word configured to save autorecover data (see under File|Options|Save), there's a good chance there's an asd file in the autorecover folder. Simply changing the asd file's extension to doc/docx/docm, as applicable, should allow Word to re-open it. Check in the Recycle Bin also.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Friday, October 21, 2016 5:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>I can see it in recent files and search for it and find it<< How did you open it? Double click or via recent list?

As you said you can search and find it, but >>isn't visible in the place I am positive it was saved.<< it seemed that you're find the temp file. Could you copy and paste the file to Desktop?

I suggest you try to copy the file to another computer and confirm if you can open it.

Then, you can try to repair Office application in your environment:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Repair-an-Office-application-7821d4b6-7c1d-4205-aa0e-a6b40c5bb88b?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Any updates please let me know and I'm glad to help you.

Regards,
    Emi Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 8:27 AM
  • Do you get an error message when trying to open the file? Or what happens?

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 7:49 PM
  • If you have Word configured to save autorecover data (see under File|Options|Save), there's a good chance there's an asd file in the autorecover folder. Simply changing the asd file's extension to doc/docx/docm, as applicable, should allow Word to re-open it. Check in the Recycle Bin also.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Friday, October 21, 2016 5:27 AM