Why is Disk Defragmenter disabled by default in Safe mode in Windows 7? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Disk Defragmenter is disabled by default in Safe mode:

In Safe mode, it is not possible to run Disk Defragmenter and when attempting to start the Disk Defragmenter service, the following message appears:

"Services

Windows could not start the Disk Defragmenter service on Local Computer.

Error 1084: This service cannot be started in Safe Mode."

Why is Disk Defragmenter disabled by default in Safe mode for Windows 7?

Regards,

Robert339

Monday, March 28, 2011 8:46 PM

Answers

• A lot of device drivers are disabled in safe mode.

If there is a problem, safe mode is not the place for it.

My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT

Remote Assistance is available for a fee.

I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Monday, March 28, 2011 9:13 PM
  • Yes, that’s a by design behavior within Safe Mode.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Wednesday, March 30, 2011 12:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, April 4, 2011 7:54 AM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 7:26 AM

All replies

• Yes, that’s a by design behavior within Safe Mode.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Wednesday, March 30, 2011 12:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, April 4, 2011 7:54 AM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 7:26 AM
  • Hello Vegan Fanatic and leo HuangLijun,

Thank you both for your responses.

Then why has this changed with Windows 7 compared with earlier Microsoft operating systems where Defrag not only could be carried out in Safe mode, but where experts, such as yourselves, usually recommended carrying it out in that mode?

Regards,

Robert339

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 2:34 PM
  • Hello Vegan Fanatic,

If you will re-consider my last message, I believe you will see that I asked how Windows 7 differs from previous operating systems that would explain why Disk Defragmenter is disabled in it by default in Safe mode. (Perhaps I did not make that clear enough in the way I formulated my message.)

I therefore hope to hear from anyone to explain why Defrag is disabled in Safe mode in Windows 7, when it was not in previous operating systems.

Regards,

Robert339

Thursday, March 31, 2011 7:37 PM
  • This has been a really disappointing and frustrating thread. The answers seem to lack any reference to anything like a real reason, and there is never a pointer to anything like a technical document to back up the assertions.

In fact, up until a few weeks ago it was perfectly possible and in fact preferable to run defrag in Windows 7 Safe Mode; I have performed this task for myself and for colleagues and it has important benefits. Something has changed, and the MVPs here are both ignorant of the change and dismissive of the legitimate question about it. The distinction between "fixing 'bad problems'" and "maintenance" is more than imprecise, it is meaningless. And "Safe mode is intended to clean up from boot issues such as opening MSCONFIG" is worse than meaningless, it is senseless; for instance, is "opening MSCONFIG" a "boot issue"?

Logically, Safe Mode is for performing any task that is best performed with a minimum of drivers loaded. This has certainly included drive defragmentation, and should continue to do so.

If these posts really do reflect how design decisions are being made now at Microsoft, then I am really worried for the livelihood of the community that has been developing solutions based on Microsoft's designs.

Software Developer
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 3:59 AM
  • Hello Morris Maynard,

Thanks for your interesting response.

I have seen from a post of yours elsewhere, that you noticed that Disk Defragmenter ceased being available in Windows 7 Safe mode as of SP1. I just thought I would mention that I have Windows 7 Starter, where although SP1 is not installed, Defrag is unavailable in Safe mode. Assuming the "no Defrag in Safe mode", to be a change (an amendment) to this operating system, perhaps this change may have commenced with an individual update, being an update also now included within SP1. Perhaps the implementation of the change also differs between the Windows 7 Editions.

I agree that I would be interested to know a little more detail about why this change has been implemented, and also with reference to a Microsoft Technical document. This would then hopefully explain whether the change is an unintended error possibly due to a side-effect of an update, or whether it is an intended change and if so, it would be interesting to know the official reasons why.

I agree that, likewise, I was also unable to make a connection between the use of msconfig and the use of Safe mode, since both of these are diagnostic in nature.

Regards,

Robert339

Monday, April 11, 2011 7:30 PM
  • Thanks. Yes, a real explanation would be nice.
    Software Developer
    Monday, April 11, 2011 7:35 PM