Fax forwarding RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We need to be able to receive fax calls, but we dont't have a fax anymore.

I would like to forward any fax call to a external fax Service, which sends the fax to me as an email, but I can't get it to work. I tried to create a mailbox and a lync user. Then I configured a permanent forwarding to the fax provider using a lync client.

The forwarding works, but I always receive an error message: The receiver is no fax device.
    If I try to send a fax directly to the fax provider, the fax is correctly sent to me as an email.

There mus be something wrong with the forwarding. How do I have to configure this forwarding?

Regards
    Peter

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:22 PM

Answers

• Lync does not support faxing so I don't think this will ever work. However, you could use your gateways to detect T.38 (fax protocol) and re-route based on that. How easy this would be depends upon your gateway.

• Proposed as answer by Kent-Huang Monday, January 21, 2013 2:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kent-Huang Monday, January 21, 2013 2:15 AM
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 3:16 PM

All replies

• Lync does not support faxing so I don't think this will ever work. However, you could use your gateways to detect T.38 (fax protocol) and re-route based on that. How easy this would be depends upon your gateway.

• Proposed as answer by Kent-Huang Monday, January 21, 2013 2:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kent-Huang Monday, January 21, 2013 2:15 AM
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 3:16 PM
  • Hi,

There is no fax feature in Lync Server. Maybe you can check fax feature in Exchange Unifi Message server.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2009/08/19/3408024.aspx

Kent Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 17, 2013 7:49 AM