Can't open Word.doc RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Office 365 Home - Word 2016 on a Windows 7 operation system

All of a sudden I can't open word.doc I receive from other individuals.  I have to open them in Publisher to read them.  Is there some setting that needs to be changed. Is anyone else have this problem?

Friday, February 5, 2016 8:43 PM

Answers

• I found out that the problem was caused by a setting.

I went to this Outlook support @ https://support.office.com/en-us/outlook and used the "chat".

It seems that there was a setting in the program that was checked and it shouldn't have been.

In Word > "Trusted Center" > Protected View | all the items were check and they should not have been.

Thanks for your responses 

Bettyc07

Bettyc07

• Marked as answer by bettyc07 Tuesday, February 23, 2016 10:19 PM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2016 10:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The description is too simple by "can't open word.doc", would you please provide more details about the issue?

What is the symptom in detail? Can Word actually be opened when you double click on a .doc file? Do you get any error message?

Regards,

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Monday, February 8, 2016 7:44 AM
  • If I receive a word.doc as an attachment to an email, when I double click it to open I get the following message:

Sorry, something went wrong and Word was unable to start. (22)

If I save the attachment and try to open it in Word, I get the same message.

I can get the document open if I open it in Publisher.

This is happening all the time.  

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 11:20 PM
  • Have you tried repairing the Office installation (via Start > Windows Control Panel > Programs > Programs & Features > Microsoft Office (version) > Change > Repair)?

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Proposed as answer by S.SenguptaMVP Wednesday, February 10, 2016 1:14 AM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2016 1:09 AM
  • Tried that and the problem still is occuring.

Betty

Bettyc07

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 4:40 AM
  • Wednesday, February 10, 2016 8:33 AM
  • Removed and reinstalled Office 365 and still no good and now it is not sending some of my emails.

Very frustrating.

Bettyc07

Thursday, February 11, 2016 2:48 AM
  • Since the document opens in Publisher, it might actually be a Publisher file and someone changed the filename extension to *.doc.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Monday, February 15, 2016 1:58 PM
  • Don't think it that because it happens to all attachments.

Could it be something with the fact that I'm using Windows 7?

Bettyc07

Monday, February 15, 2016 8:20 PM
  • The fact you're using Windows 7 (which is what I use) has nothing to do with it. That said, your apparently increasing problems suggest something more serious is going on. You might try using System Restore to return your system to the state it was in before the problems began.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Monday, February 15, 2016 9:53 PM
  • I found out that the problem was caused by a setting.

I went to this Outlook support @ https://support.office.com/en-us/outlook and used the "chat".

It seems that there was a setting in the program that was checked and it shouldn't have been.

In Word > "Trusted Center" > Protected View | all the items were check and they should not have been.

Thanks for your responses 

Bettyc07

Bettyc07

• Marked as answer by bettyc07 Tuesday, February 23, 2016 10:19 PM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2016 10:19 PM