Getting an error when change the Chart Type to Grid - Dashboard Designer - SharePoint 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I have an issue with my chart. I am using Dashboard designer and SharePoint 2010.

The problem is when I am going to change the Chart Type from Pie (default) to Grid, through the SharePoint dashboard page by right-clicking in the chart -> Report Type -> Grid.

I am able to change the type of the chart to all other types minus the Grid Type. When I choose the Grid type, the following error is displayed:

"Error running data source query.
    Contact the administrator for more details."

If I execute the query in the SQL server managment studio I get the following error:

"Executing the query ... Query (4, 92) The level ordinal is out of range in the LEVELS function." 

But if I set the chart type to Grid type within Dashboard designer, when I deploy the dashboard the chart is displayed in Grid type correctly, even I can change the design to, for example, Pie, or Tabular, but when I am going to change the Chart Type to Grid type again, the above error is displayed. Weird...

Any idea of how to solve it or what is this going on?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Joss

• Edited by Joss83 Monday, May 30, 2011 4:11 PM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:33 PM

Answers

• Hi Everyone,

We have solved this issue by installing the following update for SQL Server 2008 R2:

"SQLServer2008R2-KB2438347-x64".

It seems that with our previous version the SQL Server doesn't run the query correctly.

Best regards,

Joss

• Marked as answer by Joss83 Thursday, June 2, 2011 2:15 PM
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 2:12 PM

All replies

• It seems like the sorting options for the grid charts isn't working properly.

Anyone knows if it is a bug o something like that?

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:22 PM
  • Hello Joss,

1. What type of authentication method are you using?  I would like to know if you are using Unattended account or Per-Identity.  If you are using Per-Identity, does the issue occur if you are using Unattended account?

2. Is it only this 1 Grid that you are having this issue with?

3.  Do you have any errors in Event Viewer on the SharePoint Server?

Thanks
    Heidi Tr - MSFT

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:55 PM
  • Hi Heidi,

First of all, thank you very much for your answer.

And according to your questions:

1. I am using Unattended account, and the issue occurs always.

2. It happens with 2 charts with very similar design.

3. No, only the query error above.

I have been researching more about it, and the problem occurs when I put in the series axis a dimension (not a measure), and then I apply a value filter in the axis (through the setting ribbon, in Dashboard designer). After doing that, if you want to change the report type to Grid type, a query error is going to be shown. That is because, the axis filter apply automatically a Sort, and (I don't know why!!) this combination is not allowed in Grid Type Charts.

So in this situation I have a very big issue for me. The only solution that I can think would be, somehow, every time a user right-click on the chart for changing the chart type to Grid type, disable the sorting option of the chart that is applied by default with the axis filter.

Any advice or idea? Maybe, do that thorugh Visual Studio programmatically?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Joss

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 8:34 AM
  • Joss,

What kind of filter do you have created?  I would like to know if you can switch from Grid to Pie Chart to Bar Chart and back to Grid within Dashboard Designer without any errors.  By the description about, it sounds like the Filter is the cause for the error.

I would like to get more information around this filter that is created.

Thanks
    Heidi Tr - MSFT

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, April 29, 2011 2:32 PM
  • Hi Heidi,

When I say Filter I was referring to the Filter in the Ribbon of the Edit tab (Dashboard designer). So when I apply the filter (bottom axis ... greater than 0...) through Dashboard designer, in the background, the dashboard designer is building a MDX query that also applies a sorting. So with this query the Grid Chart is not working properly.

So for the moment, for converting my Pie Chart into a Grid Chart, first the user has to disable the filter and/or the sort setting and then the user can change the type of the chart to Grid Chart type. (the user does these steps in the SharePoint site - Performance Point dashboard).

Maybe I am wrong or there is a solution or workaround for it, but for the moment I do not know anyone.

So any advice or help is very welcome.

Thanks for your time and interest,

Joss

Monday, May 30, 2011 4:08 PM
  • Hi Everyone,

We have solved this issue by installing the following update for SQL Server 2008 R2:

"SQLServer2008R2-KB2438347-x64".

It seems that with our previous version the SQL Server doesn't run the query correctly.

Best regards,

Joss

• Marked as answer by Joss83 Thursday, June 2, 2011 2:15 PM
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 2:12 PM