none
WSS and sysprep unexpected error RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

We have installed Steady State and have run sysprep on our reference computer. We are not using disk protection so this is set to off. Our profile is unlocked (I've also checked in C:\documents and settings to make sure the ntuser file is .dat and not .man).

We wanted to check everything was ok on the reference computer before creating a deploying our image onto multiple machines. After starting the reference PC and running through the XP setup we get a message "unexpected error has occurred (0x8004100c)" after logging on either as the administrator of the machine or as the restricted user.

The only way to remove the error message is to uninstall and reinstall steady state.

I've looked though the steady state handbook (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d64af114-336c-4418-beb7-e074e813b498&DisplayLang=en)and and as far as I can tell we have done everything mentioned.

All the other threads related to this error that I have found relate to having disk protection enabled or having the profile locked neither of which we have set up.

Can anyone give us any advice as we are due to commence a roll out fairly soon?

If we cannot sort out the issues with WSS and sysprep we will need to add installing and configuring WSS as an additional post setup task.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Jane

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 10:59 AM

Answers

• Hi

We've managed to work out what happened and everything is now working happily again.

We changed the username and password of the machine before sysprepping it.

The problem seems to have been caused by not logging out between changing the username and changing the password.

We reapplied a previous image taken of the machine. Changed the username, logged out. Logged in with the new username and changed the password. We no longer have the "unexpected error has occurred (0x8004100c)" after loggin on.

Best wishes

Jane

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 12:34 PM

All replies

• Hi

We've managed to work out what happened and everything is now working happily again.

We changed the username and password of the machine before sysprepping it.

The problem seems to have been caused by not logging out between changing the username and changing the password.

We reapplied a previous image taken of the machine. Changed the username, logged out. Logged in with the new username and changed the password. We no longer have the "unexpected error has occurred (0x8004100c)" after loggin on.

Best wishes

Jane

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 12:34 PM
  • Thanks for your great sharing! It seems the user information hasn’t been applied completely when the problem occurs.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 3:42 AM