Why Does Changing A Word From Your Find Results Lose Your Results? RRS feed

• Question

• This has to be the most annoying feature of all time. Maybe there's a way around it, but I didn't see anything in the Options menu. What I want to do is to find every instance of a word and reword the text. Note that this isn't just a simple find and replace, but each replacement must be done slightly differently, depending on the word's context. 

So, I do a Ctrl-F and find my word, which brings up the Navigation pane with all of my results. So far, so good. However, when I click on the first instance of my word and I begin to change the word in my document, the entire Navigation window loses my search results and I'm left with a "You can search for text in your document by typing in the search box above" message. My word is still in the text box after this is done. Does this make sense to anyone else why it would do this? Am I missing some option (if so, that option should be turned on by default for sure)? 

Monday, February 6, 2012 3:04 PM

Answers

• Instead of relying on the Navigation pane, you can use the Find tab of the Find and Replace dialog box (Ctrl+H). The dialog box allows you to move focus between the text and the search results.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Monday, February 6, 2012 3:10 PM

All replies

• Instead of relying on the Navigation pane, you can use the Find tab of the Find and Replace dialog box (Ctrl+H). The dialog box allows you to move focus between the text and the search results.

Monday, February 6, 2012 3:10 PM
  • Thank you Stefan, that does work. The find Navigation panel could be very useful if it was more 'sticky'. 
    Kurt Miller
    Monday, February 6, 2012 3:16 PM
  • On 2012-02-06 16:16 (GMT+1), Kurt C Miller wrote:
    Thank you Stefan, that does work. The find Navigation panel could be very useful if it was more 'sticky'. 
    Kurt Miller

For what it's worth, I suspect that the find "part" of the Navigation pane is intended for the simpler cases when you just need to locate a word quickly. :-)  The Find and Replace dialog box offers a lot more tools.

Monday, February 6, 2012 3:20 PM