Outlook 2016 from Office 365 will not open - just says 'processing' - RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have Outlook 2016 from Office 365 on my Surface. It suddenly stopped opening a few days ago - just says 'processing' with a dotted line moving L to R but nothing further. I have now completely uninstalled the whole of Office 365 and reinstalled. Same problem. All the other applications work absolutely fine. Can you help? I have tried the running outlook in safe mode but my machine just says it cant locate the file outlook.exe/safe.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2016 12:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This issue has been reported several times recently. 

"I have now completely uninstalled the whole of Office 365 and reinstalled." -- Uninstall/reinstall won't reset Outlook. Please try creating a new mail profile in Control Panel and then reconfigure your email account in the new mail profile to see if this issue continues.

In addition, would you please provide the build number of your Microsoft Outlook so that we can verify if this is an hot issue caused by recent updates.

Thanks,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, February 2, 2016 8:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steve Fan Wednesday, February 3, 2016 9:45 AM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 2:13 AM

All replies

• Same problem. Problem started yesterday, very suddenly.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2016 4:51 PM
  • Hi,

This issue has been reported several times recently. 

"I have now completely uninstalled the whole of Office 365 and reinstalled." -- Uninstall/reinstall won't reset Outlook. Please try creating a new mail profile in Control Panel and then reconfigure your email account in the new mail profile to see if this issue continues.

In addition, would you please provide the build number of your Microsoft Outlook so that we can verify if this is an hot issue caused by recent updates.

Thanks,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, February 2, 2016 8:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steve Fan Wednesday, February 3, 2016 9:45 AM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 2:13 AM
  • ok...techie...where is the build number???
    Sunday, February 28, 2016 3:54 PM
  • Same issue.  Have a new HP Spectre laptop with office 365 on Windows 10.  Have unistalled and reinstalled, Microsoft tech support take control of machine, do all the updates and it still doesn't work.

Need resolution.

Thursday, March 17, 2016 9:03 PM
  • Same problem. My Surface is less than 6 months old. Problem just started.
    Saturday, October 8, 2016 4:58 PM
  • Same issue,  I have the new HP Spectre.  Purchased it in Nov 2016.  This is about the fourth time Outlook 2016 has locked up in the "processing" stage and will not open.  I have had to reset the computer to a previous date to get around the issue before.  Now I cannot even do that.  I have tried the SCANPST and that is not fixing the problem either.  Trying to run a business when your email shuts down every couple of weeks is very frustrating. 

Another crazy thing, I arrange my shortcuts and apps in sections on my desktop, dividing business from personal.  Sometimes, not always, when starting windows all the apps are on the left of the screen not in the order I left them.   This is random. 

Help please.

Monday, January 16, 2017 6:37 PM
  • I have the same problem. Two laptops, one works and the other doesn't. There were no problems until this morning and I haven't changed or added any programmes or updates.

The reply isn't helpful as it isn't step by step and I am no wiser as to what to do. Will any re-setting lose existing e-mails from the inbox?

Monday, February 13, 2017 12:15 PM
  • Hi, I have Outlook 2016 from Office 365 on my Surface. It suddenly stopped opening a few days ago - just says 'processing' with a dotted line moving L to R but nothing further. I have now completely uninstalled the whole of Office 365 and reinstalled. Same problem. All the other applications work absolutely fine. Can you help? I have tried the running outlook in safe mode but my machine just says it cant locate the file outlook.exe/safe.

Same problem here. I cannot even open Outlook, it just says it has a problem and will not open. Happened yesterday and I have the same problem with my Laptop. I had changed the password on my Hotmail Account as I found someone on Ebay was using the same Hotmail address, even though I have had the Hotmail account for years. Ebay cancelled the offending account and I changed my password to be safe and it happened after that. I also have an Outlook account which I could see in Outlook. I can open both accounts on my Ipad and Windows phone but not on my PC and Laptop.
    Friday, February 24, 2017 1:37 PM
  • Creating a new mail profile worked for me!
    Wednesday, April 11, 2018 2:25 PM