RD Web Access and RD Session Host Login RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a RD Web Access / RD Gateway Server (Windows 2008 R2) setup in my DMZ. I can successfully login, click on remote desktop and input the Server Name of the Session Host Server (Windows 2008 R2) in my network and connect.

I'd like for users to be able to login into RD Web Access and either be automatically logged into the Session Host, or have an Icon similar to a remote app to choose from (i'm trying to simplify things - and avoid the manual input of the server, since I only have 1 terminal server). Does Anyone know how I can accomplish this?

Saturday, December 12, 2009 12:42 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Open RemoteApp Manager, click Change next to RD Session Host Server Settings, select Show a remote desktop connection to this RD Session Host server in RD Web Access, click OK.

The above option will cause a Remote Desktop icon to appear in the list of RemoteApp Programs.  This will connect them to your server.

Thanks.

-TP

• Proposed as answer by TP []MVP Saturday, December 12, 2009 1:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lionel Chen - MSFT Friday, December 18, 2009 10:57 AM
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 1:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Open RemoteApp Manager, click Change next to RD Session Host Server Settings, select Show a remote desktop connection to this RD Session Host server in RD Web Access, click OK.

The above option will cause a Remote Desktop icon to appear in the list of RemoteApp Programs.  This will connect them to your server.

Thanks.

-TP

• Proposed as answer by TP []MVP Saturday, December 12, 2009 1:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lionel Chen - MSFT Friday, December 18, 2009 10:57 AM
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 1:03 AM
  • Is there any way to rename this icon that is generated, say if for example I have multiple session hosts?  Also is there any way to provide per user filtering to this icon similar to the way it can be provided to remoteapps that you add via the normal remoteapp list?
    Friday, January 8, 2010 1:56 PM
  • I managed to spend the best part of today looking for an answer to this one but I got it in the end.

I had 3 session hosts and 1 server with the Web Access and Connection Broker roles.  I was trying to get the Web Access to display the Remote Desktop link from all 3 session hosts on the same Web Access page.  As you say, if you use the Connection Broker to aggregate the RemoteApps from the 3 session host together, the icons that appear are all called 'Remote Desktop' (can't tell them apart until you click on them).

I was trying to avoid users having to remember server names to enter manually because there is no way they will be able to remember them all.  Obviously it only works for 2008 servers though so I still need to find another way to publish links to all our old Win2k terminal servers.

The name of the icon is held in a registry setting.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Terminal Server\TSAppAllowList\RemoteDesktops\TSRemoteDesktop

On each session host, change the Name (REG_SZ) value from 'Remote Desktop' to whatever name you want to appear.

The change doesn't seem to appear straight away (probably cached somewhere) but you seem to be able to force it to refresh by removing the Session Host on which you just renamed the key from the RemoteApp Sources on the Session Broker and then adding it back in again (probably with am iisreset thrown in for good measure).

I have seen a server rename itself back to the default setting when I was fiddling with some other Remote Desktop settings, not sure exactly what caused it but since I changed it back I have left the server alone and it seems to have stuck.

Hope this helps.

Andrew.

• Proposed as answer by IT-Consultant Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:23 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by IT-Consultant Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:23 PM
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 8:45 PM
  • Andrew,

Your information was very helpful.

In addition to this you can restrict which users can see the Remote Desktop icon by creating a REG_SZ called SecurityDescriptor and populate it with an SDDL value. See this post for a full explaination of my solution http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-IE/winserverTS/thread/fda165e9-e3c9-4bb8-a86a-2b5dacc907f9 

Thursday, July 21, 2011 12:42 AM
  • Hi,

You can also tune-up the mstsc and configure your own name, by following steps.

1. On your RD Session host, type mstsc in the run command.

2. Select " experience" option as per your enviornment requriment.

3. Go to general > Save As, type your own name wants to display in the RD Web .

4. Open the Remote App manger>Clci k on add remote app>Browse; navigate to te saved MSTSC file.

5. If you want to give permission for a particluar user you can click the remoate apps propeties and user asignment add the user you want to get access.

Kindly let me know if you need further support and help

Cheers

YT

Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:33 PM