none
Unable to save mpp 2013 file, error "the file cannot be opened" RRS feed

• Question

• Using a local copy of Microsoft Project Pro 2013.

Opening and editing mpp files created only with 2013, never using earlier versions or format.

However, sometimes after opening a 2013 mpp file, working on it, then trying to Save, or Save-AS, pops up a message
    The file "project.mpp" cannot be opened.

At this point is it IMPOSSIBLE to save the file in any way!

Can't save or Save-As to any location on my computer or network.

This is very frustrating to loose all the work done on a file. This happens in various files, never on specific files or anything else I can put my finger on.

-----------The full error is as following--------------

The file "project.mpp" cannot be opened.
    * Check that the file name and path are correct.
    * Check that the file format is recognized by Project.

Project files saved in versions earlier than Microsoft Project 2000 can't be opened.

If your file is from an earlier version, open in that version, click Save As (File menu), and save in MPX format. Open the MPX file in the current version of Project. When you use this method, project data is imported, but formatting is lost.

Your kind assistance please,

Thank you

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 2:04 PM

All replies

• Is your initial save of the file locally (your computer) or to a networked drive?  Is it possible that you are losing the network connection? 
    Friday, September 5, 2014 12:05 AM
  • Hi,

If you don't find any clue, you can send your file to me (guillaume.rouyreATgcosiDOTcom, replace cap) so I can give a try.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Friday, September 5, 2014 12:49 PM
  • The files are stored on a network share. I am connected using a LAN cable.

Furthermore, when I attempt to save I can still see those files and folders on the network. I am not using Offline files.

I discussed this with with our IT department, the connection seems to be stable. Is it possible that even a momentary disconnection could cause Project to lose the ability to save?

For comparison, when working with standard Office documents (Word, Excel, etc...), you always have the option to save (or save-as) even after a network has been reconnected while the document was open.

Sunday, September 7, 2014 9:00 AM
  • Hi Guillaume ,

Thanks for the offer. However, this happens randomly with various files. Furthermore, after such an incident, if I start over using the same file, it works okay.

Sunday, September 7, 2014 9:03 AM
  • Project is very "sensitive" to disruptions in LAN connectivity.  As an experiment, try working locally (on your laptop) for a couple of days and see if the issue goes away.
    Monday, September 8, 2014 5:55 PM