Question about monitoring pass through emails for a shared smtp namespace. RRS feed

• Question

• I am converting from groupwise to Exchange 2010.  Email flows into our organization through and old MS SMTP server and goes to the Groupwise Internet Agent(GWIA).  The short description of the migration process is that email is being diverted to and Exchange hub server and if the user exists there it delivers otherwise it passes to the GWIA.  As we migrate users we create them in Exchange and delete them from Groupwise.  It works in testing and we are ready to pilot.  As I watch the gwia stats it appears the last ten minute score is usually around 60 to 70 in when the exchange box is in line.  It is sometimes as high as 100 when the GWIA is on it's own.  The nature of email is that we may just be seeing different flow and it is nothing to worry about but I would like to be sure.

On my old MS SMTP server there is a c:\Xfer\QUEUE directory and if you look there you will see any backups as seperate eml files.  Is there such a directory in Exchange 2010?  I tried doing Get-Queue with no remarks and I get a line that says smarthost... Ready 0 for count and NextHop = the GWIA address.  Is that all there is for me to check? 

I know I am being paranoid and I haven't heard of anyone missing emails, but I'd just like to know all I can.  Thanks!

Friday, May 6, 2011 4:58 PM

Answers

• 1. Use Get-queus to check your queues.  Will show you any backups or failures of messages.

2. By default, the pickup folder is located Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles.  Run Get-TransportServer | fl pickup* to confirm the location.  This is where you will see the eml files.

You will be fine, just keep an eye on your queues and if you;ve got a monitoring product then set this up fpr alerts.

Sukh

• Proposed as answer by Sukh828 Monday, May 9, 2011 12:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by Gen Lin Friday, May 13, 2011 2:26 AM
    Sunday, May 8, 2011 10:36 PM
  • Hi,

To check if the mail flow is working for a shared SMTP namespace, you can send the message from Internet to a user in the GWIA. Then check the Internet header of this message after receiving it. You will see the detail mail flow process such as: First the message was received by the old MS SMTP server. Then old MS SMTP server reroute email to Exchange server, At last it was sent to GWIA.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Thanks Gen Lin-MSFT
    Monday, May 9, 2011 7:07 AM

All replies

• 1. Use Get-queus to check your queues.  Will show you any backups or failures of messages.

2. By default, the pickup folder is located Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles.  Run Get-TransportServer | fl pickup* to confirm the location.  This is where you will see the eml files.

You will be fine, just keep an eye on your queues and if you;ve got a monitoring product then set this up fpr alerts.

Sukh

• Proposed as answer by Sukh828 Monday, May 9, 2011 12:34 PM
    Sunday, May 8, 2011 10:36 PM
  • Hi,

To check if the mail flow is working for a shared SMTP namespace, you can send the message from Internet to a user in the GWIA. Then check the Internet header of this message after receiving it. You will see the detail mail flow process such as: First the message was received by the old MS SMTP server. Then old MS SMTP server reroute email to Exchange server, At last it was sent to GWIA.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Thanks Gen Lin-MSFT
    Monday, May 9, 2011 7:07 AM