How to create a link to a site on my desktop with edge RRS feed

• Question

• In IE I am used to the possibility to create a link on my desktop by looking for the site. I don't want such a site in a general favorites directory. How can I do that in Edge
    Saturday, August 1, 2015 6:57 AM

Answers

• In IE I am used to the possibility to create a link on my desktop by looking for the site. I don't want such a site in a general favorites directory. How can I do that in Edge

Looks like it depends on your default browser.  E.g. I have an Internet Shortcut (aka .URL file) on my Desktop and just used it to open Edge.  Evidently Edge is my default browser.  Otherwise if you want to open something in Edge and it is not your default browser or if you want to give some other attributes to the window you are going to open you would need to make it a full Desktop shortcut (aka .lnk file).  Unfortunately, I don't know what the program name of the Edge browser would be for doing that.

That was easy.  Task Manager, right-click Edge, Open file location and then right-click Create Shortcut... on Desktop.  Pizza cake. Except it doesn't work.

Alternatively it looks like there is a default "protocol" called  URL:microsoft-edge.   Let's see what we can do with it.   Well,  Target:  C:\Windows\explorer.exe microsoft-edge://about:tabs  was accepted but seems to have created a loop.   YMMV.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, August 1, 2015 5:07 PM
  • microsoft-edge:http://www.microsoft.com/ works as a shortcut.

The about:flags appears to be just abug as does not being able to open a short name twice with the microsoft-edge protocol in the same Edge session.

Saturday, August 1, 2015 6:00 PM

All replies

Looks like it depends on your default browser.  E.g. I have an Internet Shortcut (aka .URL file) on my Desktop and just used it to open Edge.  Evidently Edge is my default browser.  Otherwise if you want to open something in Edge and it is not your default browser or if you want to give some other attributes to the window you are going to open you would need to make it a full Desktop shortcut (aka .lnk file).  Unfortunately, I don't know what the program name of the Edge browser would be for doing that.

That was easy.  Task Manager, right-click Edge, Open file location and then right-click Create Shortcut... on Desktop.  Pizza cake. Except it doesn't work.

Alternatively it looks like there is a default "protocol" called  URL:microsoft-edge.   Let's see what we can do with it.   Well,  Target:  C:\Windows\explorer.exe microsoft-edge://about:tabs  was accepted but seems to have created a loop.   YMMV.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, August 1, 2015 5:07 PM
  • microsoft-edge:http://www.microsoft.com/ works as a shortcut.

The about:flags appears to be just abug as does not being able to open a short name twice with the microsoft-edge protocol in the same Edge session.

Saturday, August 1, 2015 6:00 PM