Computer freezes every hour RRS feed

• Question

• I built my brothers computer about 2 years ago and there were no issues. Awhile ago he uninstalled itunes from the C drive and installed it on the F drive. Well when he did this is when the computer started freezing every hour. Whether that was the exact cause or not, I'm not sure. I tried reinstalling it back on the C drive but it still freezes. I retrieved the admin logs for when the error occurred. There were 5 events. I have them zipped up but I don't know where I can upload them on here. Any help would be most appreciated, I've spent hours looking for a solution.

Saturday, January 25, 2014 5:04 PM

Answers

• I had the same problem and also have a Crucial SSD, it seems there is a bug in the firmware that causes the disk to crash every hour after it has run for 5000 hours, try to update the firmware of the SSD.

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/18565-windows-8-bsod-s-evry-hour-seriously-every-hour-help.html

http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx

While i posted this message i just updated the firmware, now over an hour later i can confirm that updating the firmware has fixed the problem :)
    • Proposed as answer by Velded Wednesday, February 5, 2014 4:17 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Velded Wednesday, February 5, 2014 4:17 PM
    • Proposed as answer by ZigZag3143x Wednesday, February 5, 2014 4:44 PM
    • Edited by Velded Wednesday, February 5, 2014 5:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by Voirdire Sunday, February 9, 2014 2:08 AM
    Wednesday, February 5, 2014 4:17 PM
  • Thank you very much! That's exactly what was wrong. I upgraded the firmware and the problem is gone. Thank you.
    • Marked as answer by ZigZag3143x Sunday, February 9, 2014 3:28 AM
    Sunday, February 9, 2014 2:09 AM

All replies

• ZIP them and upload them on skydrive.

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, January 26, 2014 5:55 PM
  • Voirdire,

Where are your event logs? without detailed infomation, each step is based on guess.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:22 AM
  • Hi,

Also, I would recommend you to boot into Clean Boot mode to see if this issue persists, you can refer to the following link to eliminate software conflicts.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796/en-us

Andy Altmann
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:31 AM
  • Hi, sorry for the delay. It's been a busy couple of days. I was toying with my brother's computer yesterday and this is what I came across. The computer has a Crucial M4 64GB SSD (C: drive) which is used for the OS basically. He also has an external HD (we will call it F drive). Whenever I unplug the external and manually restart the computer, it restarts as normal. However, when it freezes and I restart the computer by actually shutting down the comp, it doesn't recognize the C drive. It boots to the bios but I don't have the ability to change the boot order because it doesn't recognize the C drive (the F drive is unplugged). Once I plug the F drive back in and restart the computer, it will boot up as normal. The F drive is purely for programs, everything OS related is on the C drive.

I also tried to install something from windows update but it got stuck, blue screened (I wasn't able to see what it said) and eventually froze on checking for updates. I'm suspecting it may be a hard drive failure but I'm not 100% certain.

I've never used skydrive so I hope I did it correctly. I just uploaded the zip file. Thank you for all your help.

Here's the link: https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=00B26060B7C7843A&resid=B26060B7C7843A%21114&authkey=ACeBr9_aIUXrUfM

• Edited by Voirdire Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:04 PM
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:02 PM
  • Hi,

I had my brother boot into clean boot and he said it still does the same thing.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 3:09 PM
  • Refer this : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504/en-us

This is as per the errors from event logs shared.

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Wednesday, February 5, 2014 3:16 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Voirdire Wednesday, February 5, 2014 3:45 PM
    Saturday, February 1, 2014 9:45 AM
  • I certainly appreciate your time but that doesn't address why the computer is doing what it's doing. I already know Windows is not shutting down correctly. The problem is figuring out what is causing it and that link to M$'s site isn't helpful in that regard. I mentioned what the C: drive was doing but no one commented on it. I'll repost:

The computer has a Crucial M4 64GB SSD (C: drive) which is used for the OS basically. He also has an external HD (we will call it F drive). Whenever I unplug the external and manually restart the computer, it restarts as normal. However, when it freezes and I restart the computer by actually shutting down the comp, it doesn't recognize the C drive. It boots to the bios but I don't have the ability to change the boot order because it doesn't recognize the C drive (the F drive is unplugged). Once I plug the F drive back in and restart the computer, it will boot up as normal. The F drive is purely for programs, everything OS related is on the C drive.

I also tried to install something from windows update but it got stuck, blue screened (I wasn't able to see what it said) and eventually froze on checking for updates. I'm suspecting it may be a hard drive failure but I'm not 100% certain.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 3:48 PM
  • Hi, sorry for the delay. It's been a busy couple of days. I was toying with my brother's computer yesterday and this is what I came across. The computer has a Crucial M4 64GB SSD (C: drive) which is used for the OS basically. He also has an external HD (we will call it F drive). Whenever I unplug the external and manually restart the computer, it restarts as normal. However, when it freezes and I restart the computer by actually shutting down the comp, it doesn't recognize the C drive. It boots to the bios but I don't have the ability to change the boot order because it doesn't recognize the C drive (the F drive is unplugged). Once I plug the F drive back in and restart the computer, it will boot up as normal. The F drive is purely for programs, everything OS related is on the C drive.

I've never used skydrive so I hope I did it correctly. I just uploaded the zip file. Thank you for all your help.

Here's the link: https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=00B26060B7C7843A&resid=B26060B7C7843A%21114&authkey=ACeBr9_aIUXrUfM

There are only 5 events covering 7 mins on one day so no iformation of use in it try it again

Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file to skydrive or a file sharing service and put a link to it in your next post
    If you have updated to win 8.1 and you get the error message "the system cannot find the file specified" it is a known problem.  The work around is to edit the registry.  If you are not comfortable doing this DONT.  If you are, backup the key before you do
    Press Win+"R" and input regedit

Navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\Channels. Delete "Microsoft-Windows-DxpTaskRingtone/Analytic"

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 4:03 PM
  • I had the same problem and also have a Crucial SSD, it seems there is a bug in the firmware that causes the disk to crash every hour after it has run for 5000 hours, try to update the firmware of the SSD.

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/18565-windows-8-bsod-s-evry-hour-seriously-every-hour-help.html

http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx

While i posted this message i just updated the firmware, now over an hour later i can confirm that updating the firmware has fixed the problem :)
    • Proposed as answer by Velded Wednesday, February 5, 2014 4:17 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Velded Wednesday, February 5, 2014 4:17 PM
    • Proposed as answer by ZigZag3143x Wednesday, February 5, 2014 4:44 PM
    • Edited by Velded Wednesday, February 5, 2014 5:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by Voirdire Sunday, February 9, 2014 2:08 AM
    Wednesday, February 5, 2014 4:17 PM
  • Thank you very much! That's exactly what was wrong. I upgraded the firmware and the problem is gone. Thank you.
    • Marked as answer by ZigZag3143x Sunday, February 9, 2014 3:28 AM
    Sunday, February 9, 2014 2:09 AM
  • Thank you.  Another hour of racing against the clock to diagnose, and I'd have been looking to rebuild the entire system.
    Tuesday, July 8, 2014 5:59 AM
  • Thank you.  Another hour of racing against the clock to diagnose, and I'd have been looking to rebuild the entire system.

Nyunole

Please start your own thread.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 11:23 AM