Windows Explorer Crashes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Suddenly since few days my Windows Explorer crashes whenever i open my E drive. I have tried below mentioned methods but none worked!

A. Clean Boot.

B. Antivirus scan of E Drive (using MS Security Essentials)

C. Antimalware scan of E Drive

D. Windows Memory Diagonstic Tool

E. C Drive Clean up

F. Defragged E Drive.

H. Removed SP1 from updates lists.

I then went to the event viewer and found the error in much detail. Please see the snapshot of same at: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/688/windowsexplorererror.png/

Can anybody help me as to what this error is and how to overcome the same?

Thanks
    Monday, March 12, 2012 7:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Regarding the issue, I suggest you run ShellExView to disable all the plug-ins.

Run ShellExView
    ============
    1. Please download the ShellExView to the Desktop from the following link:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2. Right-click the shexview.zip file.
    3. Extract the ZIP file.
    4. Double click shexview.exe.
    5. Run the program and scan the computer.

6. Please press "Ctrl" on the keyboard and click all items which are marked in pink in the list.
    7. Please choose all items and click "File" then "Save selected Items". (For example: File Name: ShellExView, Save as type: HTML File-Horizontal(*.htm;*.html))
    8. Please choose "File" then "Disable Selected Items".
    9. Quit and restart the computer to check the issue again.

Best regards,
    Della Li

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Wednesday, April 4, 2012 7:56 AM
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:44 AM
  • Hello Della,

I followed what you said and it worked! Now my Windows Explorer is not crashing. But i have one doubt. I have disabled all those items marked in pink. Would that be causing any harm wrt to the softwares that were 'marked as pink'? Why this problem occured? why those items were marked as pink and rest were not? I am not understanding what and how this happened?

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 11:08 AM

All replies

• Not a single reply. Please guide me guys!
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:11 AM
  • Hi,

Regarding the issue, I suggest you run ShellExView to disable all the plug-ins.

Run ShellExView
    ============
    1. Please download the ShellExView to the Desktop from the following link:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2. Right-click the shexview.zip file.
    3. Extract the ZIP file.
    4. Double click shexview.exe.
    5. Run the program and scan the computer.

6. Please press "Ctrl" on the keyboard and click all items which are marked in pink in the list.
    7. Please choose all items and click "File" then "Save selected Items". (For example: File Name: ShellExView, Save as type: HTML File-Horizontal(*.htm;*.html))
    8. Please choose "File" then "Disable Selected Items".
    9. Quit and restart the computer to check the issue again.

Best regards,
    Della Li

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:44 AM
  • Hi,

i take it this hasn't always happened since you cleanly installed the OS... what applications have you installed recently? this happened to a user in our organization recently due to him installing some oracle software.

if you've installed a piece of software recently and noticed it was since this software was insatlled that error occured try uninstalling it and see if problem persists.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:40 AM
  • Hello Della,

I followed what you said and it worked! Now my Windows Explorer is not crashing. But i have one doubt. I have disabled all those items marked in pink. Would that be causing any harm wrt to the softwares that were 'marked as pink'? Why this problem occured? why those items were marked as pink and rest were not? I am not understanding what and how this happened?

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 11:08 AM
  • I know i didnt put the original post in for the fix however i may be able to answer your above questions. i've used a similair program called autoruns.

I'm assuming the application above has stopped all non microsoft plugins / shell extensions from running in the background. i believe the next stop would be to reenable one by one and see which plugin / extension is causing the issue? then you can remove the plugin or applications using the shell extension and resolve the issue permanantly

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 11:22 AM