none
Windows XP supported client operating system in Windows Server 2012 R2 domain?

Question

• Hello,

We're in a process to upgrade our Domain Controllers running 2008R2 to 2012R2.

This article implies that Windows XP is not supported client OS in 2012 domain. Is this correct? We still have about 10 XP boxes joined to our domain.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/identity/ad-ds/deploy/upgrade-domain-controllers-to-windows-server-2012-r2-and-windows-server-2012#a-namebkmksysreqsaoperating-system-requirements

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 3:29 PM

Answers

• You can join Windows XP to domain using 2012 R2 domain controller no problem. As to support Windows XP is out of support no matter the environment.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Wendy JiangModerator Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by weedee Tuesday, January 10, 2017 8:05 AM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2017 3:34 PM

All replies

• You can join Windows XP to domain using 2012 R2 domain controller no problem. As to support Windows XP is out of support no matter the environment.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Wendy JiangModerator Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by weedee Tuesday, January 10, 2017 8:05 AM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2017 3:34 PM
  • As already mentioned, Windows XP is not a supported OS. While I never seen an issue to integrate it, please take note that it may happen that a Microsoft update on the server side breaks the communication with your XP machines and you won't have any support from MS in this case.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 6:33 PM
  • Hi,
    Windows XP can be joined to windows server 2012R2 AD environment, however, as others said, Windows XP is not supported by Microsoft any more, and we would suggest you upgrade the system for better user experience.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 6:23 AM
  • I've encouraged our customer to upgrade their OSes, but things are progressing very slowly.

What about Windows Server 2003 servers? Can I join them to domain?

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 2:59 PM
  • Sure, no problem, but again the same support issue.

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 3:02 PM
  • Ok. Thanks Dave.
    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 8:05 AM