none
Merge Help in SCM 2.0 and SCM 2.5 needs correction RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

This is more of an observation and a statement but I will ask a question below anyway.

Description

Affected Security Compliance Manager products:

v2.0.20.0

v2.5.40.0

I have found that the built-in SCM help for the "merge" function appears to be incorrect.  After some head-scratching and sanity check with colleagues here, they have also agreed the documented SCM help probably requires an update.

The exact place in SCM help is: Getting started with SCM > Customize knowledge > Compare with Microsoft recommendation > Merge baselines.

Problem

The problem with help is that in step 2, it's not specific about the source baseline that should be used for Compare / Merge function.  However, the screenshot provided in step 2 shows a baseline outside of the "Custom Baselines" node . 

We have found that the source baseline must be another (unlocked baseline) from within the "Custom Baselines" node, rather than any of the other baseline nodes in SCM.  If the source baseline selected is not within the "Custom Baseline" node (& unlocked), then the "Compare Baselines" dialog shown in step 3 of the help steps will NOT show the "Merge Baselines" button.

Resolution

To make the "Merge Baselines" button show in the "Compare Baselines" dialog shown in step 3 of the help steps, ensure that the baseline(s) that are being used for the merge are all located within the "Custom Baselines" node of SCM.  This may require the that baselines from the other nodes in SCM will first need to be exported, then re-imported, so they appear in the "Custom Baselines" node as unlocked baselines.

Question

Hopefully this proves useful for anyone else who maybe scratching their head over the SCM merge function and the help text should be corrected in the next release of SCM if acknowledged by MS the highlighted help text is indeed incorrect?

Thanks, Paul.

belpad

Thursday, April 19, 2012 11:56 PM

Answers

• Thanks Paul, this is an excellent explanation, I'll forward it to the SCM program manager so that we can do something about it in the next version of SCM. We just started working on the next project but we don't have any dates yet.

Kurt Dillard http://www.kurtdillard.com

• Marked as answer by belpad Friday, April 27, 2012 2:51 AM
    Friday, April 20, 2012 1:35 PM

All replies

• Thanks Paul, this is an excellent explanation, I'll forward it to the SCM program manager so that we can do something about it in the next version of SCM. We just started working on the next project but we don't have any dates yet.

Kurt Dillard http://www.kurtdillard.com

• Marked as answer by belpad Friday, April 27, 2012 2:51 AM
    Friday, April 20, 2012 1:35 PM
  • Thanks Kurt.  Great, look forward to seeing this resolved in the next version of SCM.

belpad

Friday, April 27, 2012 2:50 AM