none
Bitlocker encrypted external USB disk can not be decrypted with the key

Question

• Hi experts

My external USB disk was encrypted by bitlocker. It worked well until today. Now every time I try to decrypt the disk with no matter the password or key file, the USB disk lost connection.

My local IT said the it can be due to that some track of the disk is broken.

So in the case, is there any way I can get my data back.

Thanks very much. It is urgent. I am looking forward for your reply.   

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 8:57 AM

Answers

• Hi Huizhuanyi,

It seems that there is something wrong with the USB disk, have you asked the manufacturer to do the hardware test?

Best Regards,

Tao

Thursday, January 28, 2016 2:06 PM
  • Hi.

Please be more precise about "the USB disk lost connection". What does that look like? You connect the drive abd then what? It asks for a password, or is it set to unlock automatically on your computer? After it is unlocked, no error appears, but the drive letter vanishes? The disk vanishes from disk management?

Please answer all those questions. Then, from an elevated command prompt, launch:

manage-bde -status x:

(x: being the drive letter of your usb drive) and quote the output.

Thursday, January 28, 2016 7:06 PM

All replies

• I searched some methods on internect. There is one possible way, using winHex to coply the whole disk to another new disk. And then decrypt the new disk with the original key. I am wondering if this way works, will it lead to further damage to my data or disk ?
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 1:56 AM
  • Hi Huizhuanyi,

Based on your description, I noticed that your USB disk lost connection.

First of all, let’s check the USB port, make sure it works properly. Also make sure the USB cable is OK.

Have you tried to put the USB disk to another computer and decrypt with the key? If not, please try it.

If the disk was corrupted, it may cause the problem. I’m afraid you could ask the manufacturer to do the hardware test.

Best Regards,

Tao

Thursday, January 28, 2016 1:06 AM
  • Hi Tao

Thanks for your reply. I have tried to plug the disk to another computer and use different cable, the same problem happens in both cases.

Best Regard

Huizhuanyi

Thursday, January 28, 2016 11:24 AM
  • Hi Huizhuanyi,

It seems that there is something wrong with the USB disk, have you asked the manufacturer to do the hardware test?

Best Regards,

Tao

Thursday, January 28, 2016 2:06 PM
  • Hi.

Please be more precise about "the USB disk lost connection". What does that look like? You connect the drive abd then what? It asks for a password, or is it set to unlock automatically on your computer? After it is unlocked, no error appears, but the drive letter vanishes? The disk vanishes from disk management?

Please answer all those questions. Then, from an elevated command prompt, launch:

manage-bde -status x:

(x: being the drive letter of your usb drive) and quote the output.

Thursday, January 28, 2016 7:06 PM